10 activities to add to your summer bucket list

Summer 2016 is rapidly approaching and for those of you who staying around town, you’ll need some things to do. 

Maybe you don’t have the money to travel, but there’s plenty of low-cost adventuring to do around town. Here’s ten things to add to your bucket list this summer — all of which cost little to nothing to do.

Check off all the items, add a few to your own or use these activities as a springboard for own summer bucket list. Create new memories, venture out of your comfort zone and make the most of the little time you have this summer.

1. Take a sunrise hike of Horsetooth Rock. 

Summer 2015: The sun rises over Horsetooth Reservoir as seen from the top of Horsetooth Rock.

I get it, most of you have climbed the rock at some point of your time at CSU. Wake up a few hours early and head to the rock for an awe-inspiring view of the sun peeking over the horizon. Your Instagram followers will be glad you did.

2. Catch a movie at Holiday Twin Drive-In

Photo by: Randi Mattox
Photo by: Randi Mattox

Get your ’50s nostalgia on with a double-feature at the Holiday Twin Drive-In. It’s a  stellar bargain — price of admission gets you two movies for the price that you’d generally pay to see one at a movie theater. Grab some friends, popcorn and candy and enjoy this old-school classic. 

3. Ride the Trolley.

(Photo courtesy: Fort Collins Trolley)
(Photo courtesy: Fort Collins Trolley)

It was years before I knew that there even was a trolley to ride. The restored trolley car  runs all summer, taking riders on a 3-mile journey from City Park to Howes Street and back. Soak up some sunshine and ride this historic piece of Fort Collins.

4. Eat breakfast at one of Fort Collins’ unique dining spots. 

People gather around the Waffle Lab at the Fort Collins Food Truck Rally at City Park. (Photo credit: Collegian File Photo)

There’s some serious breakfast spots in town. Grab a creative pancake flight at Snooze, cinnamon roll french toast at Silver Grill Cafe, biscuits and beignets from Lucille’s or stop by the Waffle Lab truck for chicken and waffles. Do some breakfast hopping and discover your favorite place.

5. Listen to new bands at the Downtown Summer Sessions.

A Fort Collins Brewery employee pours a frothy Red Banshee beer on a hot Wednesday afternoon.
 Collegian File Photo. 

Head to Old Town Square the first Friday of every month to catch a diverse line-up of  Colorado bands. Beer and food from local companies is on hand, but not to worry if  you’re strapped for cash — admission is free.

6. Be a kid again at Fort Fun

(Photo courtesy: Fort Fun Facebook page)

Having responsibility sucks. Spend an afternoon reminiscing about your childhood at Fort Fun. Mini-golf, go-karts, laser tag, batting cages and arcade games await.

7. Grab a drink.

Gabriela Moraes, 22, enjoys top 3 New Belgium's signature types of beer.
(Collegian File Photo) 

*if over 21

If you feel like adulting, Fort Collins isn’t just home to some of the best breweries in  the states, we have some pretty great bars too. Feeling dressy? Head to Elliot’s or  Social for a unique cocktail. Not feeling so dressy? Walk through Old Town, you’re bound to find a bar that suites your tastes.

8. Go on a ghost tour.

Tourists try to capture photos of ghosts on the Fort Collins Ghost Tour Saturday night.
Tourists try to capture photos of ghosts on the Fort Collins Ghost Tour Saturday night. (Collegian File Photo) 

The Stanley Hotel is overrated. Skip Estes Park and explore the city’s haunted buildings and pubs instead. Haunted pub tours run every Thursday, the Fort  Collins Ghost Tour runs every Friday and Saturday night.

9. Tubing down the Poudre River. 

Cache_la_Poudre_River_in_Poudre_Canyon_high_walls
Poudre River (Collegian File Photo)

Spend a lazy summer day floating down the Poudre. Tubes are inexpensive (you can  get them at sporting goods stores— even a local tire shops) and there’s plenty of starting points. Be safe, be smart and have fun.

10. Explore Fort Collins’ past at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery. 

Steven Williams and his daughter Lillian play with the "Energy at Rest" exhibit at Fort Collins Museum of Discovery. The discovery museum has a whole host of fun, interactive exhibits for families and individuals to enage in and from which to learn something new. (photo credit: madison brandt)
(Photo Credit: Madison Brandt)

It’s easy to overlook the features of the incredible city we live in. Fort Collins’ storied  past has formed the city we’ve come to know. The Fort Collins Museum of Discovery  lets you explore several hundred years of the city’s past through fascinating exhibits.

Collegian Reporter Dan DeHerrera can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.