The Wonder Years rocked Fort Collins

Microwave
The band Microwave performing.

Sunday night, despite it being Colorado State University’s spring break weekend, managed to almost pack The Aggie Theatre. Everyone came out to see south Philadelphia based pop-punk band The Wonder Years. Who are on tour celebrating the release of their most recent album “No Closer to Heaven.” It was a wild and fun night for fans of punk-rock and hardcore music altogether.

Starting off the night was Atlanta based band Microwave. It was unfortunate that the start of their set had some minor technical problems cutting their performance a little short. Despite that however, they set the tone for how the night was going to go. With an emphasis on the more upbeat and energetic songs, Microwave got the crowd moving and shouting along at a fairly early start. Something not common for most openers.

Tiny Moving Parts
Tiny Moving Part, performing.

The second band of the night was self-described family band, Tiny Moving Parts. From Minnesota the band plays some more hardcore and energetic songs. With two studio albums under their belt, they have plenty of experience of getting the crowd moving and singing along. They managed to play a few tracks off their upcoming third studio album, “Celebrate.” The crowd really enjoyed all of it despite never hearing it before. With a longer set, the crowd and band both enjoyed every single minute of it.

letlive
The band letlive. performing.

The amps really got turned up to 11 when post-hardcore outfit, letlive. took the stage. Front man Jason Butler has been ill for the majority of this tour so far, and was questionable for this night. Surprisingly he came out swinging. It was apparent that he belonged on the stage from the way he performed. To most it was obvious he had missed this. There was a mix of him going into the crowd to sing and dance along with everyone, or him pulling as many fans as he could onto the stage to sing along with him. Butler has a taste for the theatrics and the crowd loved it. From the very first note of their set the crowd had formed a massive mosh pit in the front of the stage, and kept it going for the entirety of the letlive set. Some of the most loved moments of the performance is when Butler would stop in the middle of a song to sing a few notes from either a Disney song, or a long lost pop song.

Dan Campbell
The Wonder Years’ front man, Dan Campbell, performing.

A lot of the more hardcore fans cleared out when the main act, The Wonder Years took the stage. The band started the night off performing a few tracks off their newest record, before taking a moment to thank all the other bands that performed throughout the night, then getting right back into it with songs off their fourth studio album, “The Greatest Generation.” To most fans surprise, the band played “Living Room Song” which is considered a B-side and usually is never in their set list. The crowd who at this point have been singing along with every single not, most were not sure whether or not to sing the backup parts enjoyed every bit of the performance.

A few tried to keep the mosh pit going only for it to stop and then start up again a few songs later. After their hour long set the band thanked everyone for coming out and went off stage when the usual “Encore! Encore! Encore!” chants started. After a few minutes of this the band came out one more time to end the night with their song “Stained Glass Ceilings” when Jason Butler came back out to join front man Dan Campbell for an entertaining rendition of the song. With that the band thanked the crowd one more time and the night was over. Most people started shuffling to the doors and spilled out into South College, enjoying the loud and eventful start to their spring break.

The Wonder Years
Dan Campbell and Jason Butler performing “Stained Glass Ceilings.”

Collegian Music Critic Alec Erickson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @CTV_ACE.