Seven fun ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day while single

You either hate it or love it. Some people love mushy-gushy teddy bears and chocolates, while some people hate the emphasis on romance. It’s Valentine’s Day, and it can be a tricky holiday to navigate. 

For those of you that love it but don’t have a significant other to share it with, make a day for yourself. Here are seven ideas to make this day great: 

1.Make it a spa day

via GIPHY

Have you wanted to go out to the spa in Old Town or just need a day for a little TLC? Go get a massage for yourself or a mani/pedi mix. Make yourself feel better by giving yourself a little self-love. Or if you don’t have much money to spend, just make it a spa day at home. Get some candles and bubble bath with a good book and just soak away all your troubles and worries. Or use a DIY face mask that you’ve wanted to try. 

2. Host a dark heart party

via GIPHY

If you’re one of the people that absolutely can’t stand Valentine’s Day, make your own Anti-Valentine’s Day. Host a party with others that feel the same way. Get black balloons, a huge heart piñata and you have yourself a party. Drink, play games and just be with common minded people. It’ll be a day to remember and make better.

3. Watch movies 

via GIPHY

Is there a movie you’ve been dying to see but you just couldn’t find anyone to go with? Well, today is the day! Find a time that works for you and go see that movie. It doesn’t even have to be a love story. It could be drama, crime or horror. It’s your choice. You get to make the decision today.

4. Buy yourself a gift

via GIPHY

Who needs a significant other to buy things for you? You’re a strong person who can stand for themselves. So if there is a piece of jewelry you’ve been eyeing or maybe a new piece of clothing, then go buy it. This is a time to take care of yourself and to make your day into one for you.

5. Take a mini-vacation

via GIPHY

If you find yourself at home with nothing to do, take time to make it a day for travel. Go to Horsetooth for a hike or to meet a friend you haven’t seen in a while. With Denver only an hour away, take a bus or your car and spend a day on 16th Street or just in Old Town if Denver isn’t your thing.

6. Don’t change a thing

via GIPHY

This day is just like any other if you want it to be. Sleep in, work on homework or just lounge around with Netflix as bae. You don’t have to make it special or any different. It’s only a big deal if you decide to make it one, so just do you and have fun with whatever you decide to do.

Collegian Reporter Dallas Head can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter at @water4rams