‘Spectre’ falls one step short of 007 standard

Final Score: 7/10

“Spectre,” the newest installment of the James Bond seriesbrings audiences action, romance and excitement, but slightly disappoints in comparison to other Bond films in the longest running movie franchise that began in 1962. 

“Spectre” follows Bond’s quest to gain more insight into the existence of an evil organization called SPECTRE. As Bond becomes closer to discovering the truth about SPECTRE, he builds a romantic relationship with the daughter of an assassin and former nemesis, which leads him to the identity of the enemy behind all of his llife’s turmoil. 

Photo Courtesy: 007.com
Photo Courtesy: 007.com

Avid Bond fans will love the hidden references to former films in the franchise, while “Spectre” takes viewers on a blast to the past reliving some of the most defining moments in 007 history, as Bond learns more about the man responsible for all of it.  

Daniel Craig perfectly embodies Bond’s character by combining the suave and sleek personality with just the right amount of witty humor. This performance, paired with his outstanding portrayal of Bond in the 2012 installment,“Skyfall,” is shaping Craig up to be one of the best actors ever casted as Bond.  

Christoph Waltz takes on the role of Bond’s enemy, Franz Oberhauser. Waltz deploys his signature strategies, portraying his character as an arrogant and sarcastic criminal, which works well for the film. Although audiences are seeing nothing new from Waltz, his character is still enjoyable.  

French actress Léa Seydoux portrays the classic “Bond girl” character with a new perspective. Seydoux gives her character, Dr. Madeleine Swann, a feministic quality that has no patience for Bond’s typical tactics, but eventually makes a lasting impression on Bond that forces him to choose true love.  

Photo Courtesy: 007.com
Photo Courtesy: 007.com

Sam Smith performed the theme song for “Spectre.” The song, titled “Writing’s on The Wall,” was written as a journal entry. This interesting take on the Bond theme song is unique. And of course, Smith’s vocal performance of the song is captivating.  

“Spectre” is a solid action movie. It has countless fight scenes, multiple crashing helicopters and building explosions. The writing was not exceptionally notable. Nothing in the plot was surprising. However, this did not matter in the light of the great action and production. If you are looking for an entertaining spy film with extraordinary stunt work, “Spectre” is the film for you. But if you’re expecting “Spectre” to become your new favorite 007 movie, you will be disappointed. It maintained the traditional Bond style, but did not present anything new. 

“Spectre” is an enjoyable movie and could stand alone as its own action thriller. It just does not compare to some of the best Bond films in the series, including “Skyfall.” “Spectre” had a very high standard to meet, and it fell just one step short of success.

Collegian Reporter Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox