Flower Power Botanicals in Fort Collins Celebrates ‘420’ all April with these amazing Deals & Promotions:

In Colorado, April is always the month to celebrate, especially if you are a medical and recreational marijuana dispensary in Fort Collins. On...

Collegian Cooks: St. Patrick’s potluck

Spring-break is just around the corner, everything is turning green and next week while many college students enjoy the sun, St. Patrick’s day will be upon us. Now normally, this holiday would be cause for celebration and beer drinking. And for the most part, this is still true.

But alongside the drinking, there is a great and easy opportunity to try delicious corned beef and cabbage. The Irish are a people of comfort food. Even though corned beef is something that happens maybe once a year for most people, it is not at all a hard thing to prepare and cook.

When paired with mashed potatoes and other fattening delicacies, a St. Patrick’s Day potluck  is a wonderful treat. Here are some of our favorite St. Patrick’s day themed recipes:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

What you will need:

• 2 lbs. corned beef brisket
  • 1 whole cabbage
  • 2 white onions
  • 3 large carrots
  • 6 peppercorns

Step one: Place your corned beef in a large pot with a handful of peppercorns. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the meat.

Step two: Let this come to a boil on the stove top and then reduce heat to a simmer, let this cook for an hour.

Step three: After an hour has passed, place in the chopped carrots and onions and let these cook for an hour. Then place in cabbage pieces with 15 minutes remaining.

Step four: Once the cabbage is cooked, plate the vegetables and meat. Make sure to cut against the grain so that the meat stays intact.

Mashed PotatoesSt. Patty Day

What you will need:

• 4 or 6 potatoes
  • A little milk
  • half a stick of butter
  • chopped green onions

Step one: Place potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Cook until the potatoes are tender/mashable.

Step two: Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add in slices of butter and milk and continue mashing until desired texture is reached. Add in chopped green onions, for extra St. Patrick’s day flair.

Chocolate Guinness Cake

What you will need:

• 1 cup of dark beer
  • half a stick of butter
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 cup of coco powder
  • 8 oz. of cream cheese
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 2/3 a cup of sour-cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of milk

Step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees then pour beer into a large pot and turn heat to low melt half a stick of butter in it. Yup melt some butter into some beer. Once the butter is melted turn off the heat.

Step two: Mix in sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda.

Step three: In a separate bowl mix sour cream and eggs until well blended and then pour it into the beer mixture.

Step four: Mix in flour and whisk until smooth, then pour into a buttered baking pan and place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

Step five: While the cake is baking, blend cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk into icing. Once the cake has cooled, spread icing and enjoy.

Collegian Chefs Lawrence Lam and Skyler Leonard can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.