Why now is the perfect time to get into comics

I remember growing up in a far-off time (the late ‘90s) when reading comics and playing games would get you picked on. It’s crazy yet wonderful how much perceptions have changed in such a short time.

Now you can see jocks wearing Batman shirts, and people regularly debate which superhero is best.

More and more people are realizing comics are awesome, and here’s why you should be joining them:

1. Writing and art quality are at an all-time high.

When someone mentions comics, some may imagine the relatively low quality art and cheesy stories. In today’s age, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Writers like Jeff Lemire, Scott Snyder and Mark Waid (to name just a few) are on par with the best novel writers today, creating plots that would garner mainstream praise if they appeared on the big screen.

And, artists like Alex Ross and Esad Ribic provide pictures so stunning you could literally frame any panel they’ve done and hang it on your wall.

2. There’s so much more than superheroes.

Another misconception about comics is that they only cover men and women in tights. But walk into any comic shop and it becomes apparent that there is a comic for every taste.

If you’re into historical fiction, then “Harlem Hellfighters” or “Manifest Destiny” will surely scratch your itch.

Or perhaps you’re into horror? Nothing will send shivers up your spine better than “Wytches” or “Outcast.”

From noir to science fiction, there’s just as much variety in comics as there is in any library.

3. Comics are modern mythology

The Greeks had Hercules, the Norse had Thor; we have Superman and The Hulk.

People love to read myths and legends of past cultures, but we also have our own legends today — from a man who can swing from webs and pick up cars after being bit by a radioactive spider, to a man who makes a deal with the devil to see his wife just one more time.

Comics show us heroic and legendary men and women who have the most amazing powers, and are the personification of the greatness — or the horrors — humanity is capable of. They tell tales of redemption, and even tales of a downward spiral.

Comics have the ability to take us to a whole different world, and they’re only getting better. If you’ve ever been curious or looking for something new to get into, look no further than the nearest comic shop.

Collegian A&E Geek Beat Writer Dom Lopez can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @DominiqueLopez.