What to do in Fort Collins if you are under 21

ram-rumble

Fort Collins, Colorado; the land of microbreweries and bars. A place of total bliss for craft beer connoisseurs and 21-year-olds. In this town centered around a culture of microbrew-guzzling residents, what activities are available to minors who cannot relish in what Fort Collins is known for?

Brewery Tours and Events

Are you interested in learning about the breweries anyway? You can tour breweries, such as New Belgium Brewing Company , Odell’s Brewing Co., and the Fort Collins Brewery if you are under 21-years-old. However, you cannot taste test the beers.

New Belgium Brewing Company requires reservations, but Odell’s Brewing Co. and the Fort Collins Brewery do not.

Dressed as Posidon, Andy Thran, cheers joyfuly as he is sprayed with water during the long, hot Tour de Fat ride. All riders eagerly welcomed water and free refreshments from the yards of houses that lined the Tour de Fat bike course.

Not only can you tour these breweries, but you can partake in the many events they host to celebrate beer and the Fort Collins community. The most notable of these events is New Belgium Brewing Company’s Tour de Fat. Every summer, New Belgium Brewing Company hosts Tour de Fat by Old Town to celebrate the cycling and beer culture of Fort Collins. Costumed bike parades, music and food are all part of Tour de Fat

Art

Bailey Ostdiek leaps to perform a grand jeté at the senior dance capstone rehearsal Thursday night in the UCA. Seniors Alyssa Howell, Angela Wood, Bailey Ostdiek and Natalie Vinyard-Houx each choreographed a solo as well as a group dance for the concert titled "Interlace."
Bailey Ostdiek leaps to perform a grand jeté at the senior dance capstone rehearsal in the UCA. Seniors Alyssa Howell, Angela Wood, Bailey Ostdiek and Natalie Vinyard-Houx each choreographed a solo as well as a group dance for the concert titled “Interlace.”

Fort Collins offers many opportunities to revel in art, music and theater. Interested in photography? Visit the Center for Fine Art Photography, where they often offer new exhibits and have a relaxed space. Colorado State University’s University Center of the Arts provides art exhibits, musical and dance recitals and theater. Not only are these shows easy access to Colorado State University students, but they are often open to the public as well.

The Aggie Theatre presents concerts to anyone 16 years or older. They host bands and artists almost nightly in their Old Town location.

The great outdoors

We are lucky to live in a place like Colorado where outdoor activities are in abundance for the mountain-loving folk. Watch a sunset at Horsetooth Reservoir, or better yet, take the Horsetooth Rock sunrise hike to start your day out right. Is the weather getting warmer? White water raft down the Poudre River.

Fort Collins also has many parks and open spaces where you and your friends can bike, play frisbee golf, have a picnic or a small game of football.

CSU sporting events

CSU defensive specialist Kaitlind Bestdgen digs the ball during Saturday's match against Denver.
CSU defensive specialist Kaitlind Bestdgen digs the ball Denver.

Basketball, hockey, volleyball, football, inner tube water polo, you name it. With a student ID, you can get into all of these events. Cheer on your Rams, enjoy sitting in the student section and go along with friends.

CSU is an integral part of the Fort Collins community. Not only are these games filled with CSU students, but the public loves to support the rams.

Collegian Interactive News Team member Kathleen Keaveny can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com or on Twitter @katkeaveny.