Masonville Mercantile is a store nostalgic to the old west

IMG_3355-400x300
Photo by Caitlyn Berman.

Nestled in the foothills just past Horsetooth Reservoir, the Masonville Mercantile is truly a parlor to the past, showcasing racks of vintage-themed clothing, historic relics and true western culture.

The eclectic collection of clothes, hats and accessories fits a variety of themes including Mardi Gras, western, masquerade and the trending steampunk look.

“We understand steampunk to be of the Industrial Age, with lots of gears and levers,” Mardi Denny, co-owner of Masonville Mercantile said. “For us, it’s like dressing people in Victorian, but a little more brawny and edgy.”

The shop, specializing in bridal, has provided dresses and accessories for a variety of themed weddings, including steampunk, Mardi Gras and gangster.

“In one year, we helped over 400 brides,” Denny said. “We have so many looks. It’s unusual for someone to not find what they’re looking for.”

The shop also allows photographers to do photo shoots of customers with their purchased clothing. One business that participates is Denver-based Shandi Kay Photography.

“Shandi Kay is a great photographer and we have some of her pictures in the shop,” Rachael Atencio, two-year Masonville Mercantile employee said. “I’ll dress the models and work on the shoots, which often take place here because of the backdrop.”

The building, established in 1896, has an extensive local history. It was originally built by J.R. Mason himself, and served as a hotel and general store. Its initial location was a quarter mile down the road from where it stands today.

“Around the early 1900s, they moved the building by pulling it with a team of horses and rolling it on logs,” Mardi Denny, co-owner of Masonville Mercantile said. “It took them three days to make the short journey.”

Since its inception, the building has had about 17 owners, the most recent of which is co-owner Bob Webb. Webb initially ran the store as a pool hall and 3.2 bar, when the drinking age in Colorado was 18 years old. He then personally renovated the space by adding an old jail cell from the Loveland prison, as well as constructing a memorial park across the street.

Bob Webb's Memorial Park, dedicated to his family.
Bob Webb’s Memorial Park, dedicated to his family. (Photo by Caitlyn Berman)

“The memorial park is symbolic for Bob because it pays tribute to his family,” Denny said. “It’s also been the location of several events, including the building’s hundredth anniversary.”

The hundredth anniversary party was an unexpectedly large one, drawing about 1,000 people in two days. The park hosted local vendors, a live band and a “dirt dance,” Denny said.

Another gathering held at the park is the annual fundraiser put on by Realities for Children, which is an event that brings hundreds of motorcyclists to the store and raises money for abused children, Atencio said.

The Masonville Mercantile actually made the Guinness Book of World Records for the number of motorcyclists at said rally, Webb said.

“We work with a lot of groups, including reenactment groups like [Single Action Shooting Society]. We even clothe a fashion show for the Greeley Philharmonic,” Denny said.

Overall, Masonville Mercantile is a unique mixture of culture, history and flare, offering visitors an authentic experience of the old west.

“It’s honestly Masonville’s best kept secret,” Atencio said. “The first time I ever came to this store, I knew it was something special and something I had never seen, and I knew I had to work here.”

Collegian A&E Writer Caitlyn Berman can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @CaitlynBerman.