Interesting Internships in Fort Collins

A part of the college experience is being an intern, working alongside professionals to learn more about the possibilities inherent in one’s future trade and career. Fort Collins and CSU offer a variety of these experiences.

• Morgan Library Marketing Communications Intern

Morgan Library is offering a marketing internship. Those who fill the positions, part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer will be in charge of the marketing and communications of the library, according to Director of Strategic Relations David Ramsay. They will also help coordinate events, programs, and activities coordinated around the library. For example, current interns have been working on a program to raise awareness of the electronic advantages of having a Poudre River library card, which includes being able to download digital books and music for free. Interns will work with companies such as Disney and Apple during the course of the program.

Applicants, upper classmen and graduates are encouraged to gain real world experience in marketing and multimedia, according to Ramsay. Those who want to apply can find more information in the “Student Job Listing” section on RAMweb once the position is posted.

• CSU Police Department Internship

According to the “Employment Opportunities” page on the CSUPD website, the position offers opportunities which are “in accordance with internship course requirements… the interests of the intern, and the needs of the police department.” The CSUPD internship program sees interns working through many of the police department divisions so students can obtain “a comprehensive understanding of law enforcement,” according to the police department’s website.

To be eligible, students must be currently enrolled in the University, have a minimum GPA of 2.5, and be in good standing. Other requirements are owning a valid drivers license and having “no criminal convictions or pending criminal cases” on record. Interested students can contact Lt. Chris Wolf at christopher.wolf@colostate.edu, or call (970) 491-2312.

• Research Blogger/Videographer

The office of the Vice President for Research and The Rocky Mountain Collegian have partnered to offer internship credits for videographers and bloggers that cover various science and scientific research related to CSU and the Fort Collins area.

According to a notice put out by the Office for the Vice President of Student Research, the positions require five to 10 hours a week and entail creating detailed content published online on a “biweekly or monthly” basis. Interested parties should send an email to blogs@collegian.com.

• Princess Paradise Costume Internship

Princess paradise, a local costume shop, is looking for someone who can multitask, has strong verbal communication skills, and “a strong knowledge of sewing, fabrics, garment construction and patterns” and is skilled in programs such as Microsoft Office and Adobe programs,” according to the store’s post on internships.com

Responsibilities of the internship include working with the design department, helping with fittings and photoshoots, sewing costumes, and “folding and organizing fabrics.” The two unpaid internships with the costume company are available all year. People who want to apply are encouraged by the internships.com post to send a resume and cover letter to princessrachaelb@gmail.com.

• HP computer internships

The computer company HP offers a wide variety of internships at its Fort Collins location, said HP Business Systems Analyst Phil Neal in an email. These include business analytics, software design, hardware engineering, marketing and finance opportunities.

HP’s Fort Collins site hosts approximately 60 interns during the summer, with one-third of them continuing into the school  year. Interns work alongside employees of the technology company, helping to design and market the company’s products and services. Some of these internships have the potential to lead a full-time position, according to Neal’s email.

“We don’t do coffee getting,” Neal wrote.

It is required that students be enrolled full-time. According to Neal, a high GPA and junior/senior level coursework are advantageous due to the competitive nature of HP internships.

College Avenue reporter Devin O’Brien can be reached at collegeavenue@collegian.com. Look for the Interviewing Guide issue of College Avenue on racks Mar. 12!