The dangers of dorm dating

Freshmen Mark Currie, left, and Ben Boucher walk past the Corbett parking lot to their dorm Sunday evening. Starting today, the Corbett parking lot will be closed to make room for Laurel Village, the new student housing project scheduled to be completed in Fall of 2014.
Freshmen walk past the Corbett parking lot to their dorm Sunday evening. 

When living in the dorms, becoming close to your hall mates is almost inevitable.

But how close is too close? Is it ever okay to form a romantic relationship with your next-door neighbor? Or is that just a way of welcoming disaster?

Starting off the school year, this may not have seemed like a bad idea. Freshman hospitality management major Amanda Johnson saw two people try to form a relationship early on.

“They had a thing for a week and then they hated each other right after it,” Johnson said.

It’s that awkwardness and potential animosity that drives many away form having a relationship with someone in their hall. Whether it’s a simple fling or a serious relationship, the same negative outcome can come as a result.

Josh Chia, a junior international exchange student living in the dorms, feels that the element of convenience may be why that kind of relationship is so appealing.

“Some people limit themselves to whoever is closest to them. People just don’t realize how many more people are out there,” Chia said.

Chia believes he may be onto something. It can seem easy at first. Two people are thrown together in a close living situation and, of course, they get to know each other pretty well. It’s nice to have some one who is always there. When dating, seeing that other person when you get home or when you’re hanging out with your fellow hall mates is great. It may actually be the main source of joy in your day. It’s when that simplicity doesn’t last that problem arises.

You have to see them just as often, only now it’s just awkward. The relationship goes from a daily joyful greeting to you ducking your head and power-walking down the hall each and every time you leave or enter your room.

Lindsey Johnson, also a current dorm resident, agrees that, at the beginning of the year, having a relationship with someone in the same hall is a terrible idea, but that it may be acceptable later on.

“If it’s like a month before the end of school, then yeah, maybe, because then you’re not going to live with each other next year,” Lindsey Johnson explained.

It’s the element of living together that makes the situation difficult. And, if you know that you won’t have to deal with that aftermath for an extended period of time, an exception can be made.

But is that the only time an in-hall relationship becomes acceptable? Not according to Amanda Johnson.

“If they were really hot, I’d make an exception,” Amanda Johnson said, offering this as the only exception to the strict no-hall-dating rule that she holds for herself.

So, when considering becoming romantic your hall mate, you might want to step back and ask yourself if it’s worth it. Is it worth risking a year of awkwardness? Because if you ask these second semester dorm residents, they’ll be quick to steer you clear of that decision.

Collegian Reporter Cassie Maack can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.