Colo. Governor John Hickenlooper and wife Helen Thorpe splitting up

AURORA, CO - JULY 22:  Colorado Gov. John Hick...
    AURORA, CO – JULY 22: (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

Governor John Hickenlooper and his wife, Helen Thorpe, announced Tuesday they are separating after 10 years of marriage, reported by The Denver Post.

This is the second incident of the nature to occur in Colorado in that past 10 years and according to an article from The Denver Post, the separation is “‘unrelated to the difficult events Colorado has faced this summer,’ referring to wildfires and the July 20 shooting at an Aurora movie theater, where 12 people died and 58 were injured.”

The couple issued the following comment to the public, as reported by Lynn Bartells of the The Denver Post.

After years of marriage that have added tremendous love and depth to both of our lives, we have decided to separate. This decision is mutual and amicable. We continue to have the utmost respect for each other, and we remain close friends. We intend to continue functioning as a family that spends a great deal of time together. In fact, we will embark on our annual family vacation together this week, share meals often, and plan to spend holidays together. You can continue to expect to see both of us out in the community –- sometimes together, sometimes solo. Please feel free to include both of us in social gatherings as we will not find it awkward.

“Our chief concern right now is the well-being of our son, so we ask everyone to respect our privacy as we make this transition. While public office made this announcement necessary, it will be the only statement we make on this private matter. We want to thank our friends, family, and community for all of the support you have shown us as a couple and as individuals, and for the support we know you will provide as we move forward.”

Both the Governor and Ms. Thorpe want the public to know that neither has had an affair, that they did seek extended counseling, and that this decision is unrelated to the difficult events Colorado has faced this summer. While the Governor will be moving into the Governor’s Mansion, he will also continue to spend time with his son at their private home.