How to Land a Remote Fashion Internship

While our current situation may look grim due to the pandemic, internship search doesn’t have to be. You may not get that in-person office experience you’ve been hoping for, but many apparel companies are still offering virtual internships. A virtual internship is a great opportunity to work for your dream brand in New York or LA without leaving the comfort of your own home. You can also still gain valuable experience and connections while working remotely. 

If you’re lost on how to land a remote role, here are a few tips.

1. Show a professional your resume

Showing your resume to a professional will make all the difference in your job application getting noticed. Professionals such as a professor in the Design and Merchandising Department, the career center, your parents or a family friend will know what hiring managers are looking for better than you do. They could also catch mistakes or formatting issues you might not have seen. If you want to go the extra mile, work with a resume writing service. Your internship applications will thank you.

2. Notify your connections you are looking

It may be daunting to ask for help, but you never know what it might bring. If you do not have a direct connection to the fashion industry, see if your professors or parents do. Even connections of connections can really speed up your search.

3. Customize your resume for each internship you apply to

If you are applying to internships within various sectors of the fashion industry, this is a MUST. Make sure that keywords on the internship posting are included on your resume. Highlight your skills and experience that fit the role they are looking for. 

4. Know where to look

Lastly, it is important to know where to apply. While Indeed and LinkedIn are great resources, sites that are specific to the fashion industry can be very helpful. Websites such as Fashionista and Business of Fashion provide an abundance of fashion job listings that you won’t find anywhere else. They also sometimes list emails directly to the recruiters.