Democratic candidates go head to head in marijuana debate

Capelli D'Angelo

Democratic presidential candidates U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) (L) and Hillary Clinton take part in a presidential debate sponsored by CNN and Facebook at Wynn Las Vegas on October 13, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Five Democratic presidential candidates are participating in the party's first presidential debate. (Photo credit: Getty Images)
Democratic presidential candidates U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) (L) and Hillary Clinton take part in a presidential debate sponsored by CNN and Facebook at Wynn Las Vegas on October 13, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Five Democratic presidential candidates are participating in the party’s first presidential debate. (Photo credit: Getty Images)

Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders have made it clear they have opposing opinions when it comes to legalizing marijuana. Clinton refuses to support recreational use of the drug, according to Marijuana Politics.

Throughout his campaign, Sanders has criticized the prison reform Clinton proposes. Friday, for example, during his two day trip in New Hampshire he said Clinton has the right idea, but her plan would not work.

“When we talk about criminal justice reform, we also need to understand that millions of people have been arrested for using marijuana,” Sanders said.

This is not the first time Sanders has shown his support for decriminalizing marijuana. According to the Washington Post, Sanders first announced Wednesday that he believes a successful prison reform entails removing marijuana from the federal list of most dangerous drugs.

To read more about the legalization of marijuana, and the stance Clinton and Sanders take on the topic, check out the full story.