Best Foods to Help with Stress

Rachel Rasmussen

Sponsored Content

By Laura Studley

AVOCADOS AND BANANAS

Both of these are rich in potassium. Potassium helps regulate the body’s fluid balance, muscle contractions and nerve signals. A high-potassium diet can help reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against stroke and prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.

SWISS CHARD

This leafy green helps to balance the body’s stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol and adrenaline use up significant amounts of magnesium because the body perceives itself to be in an “emergency” situation, thus directing the hormones to take priority over the body’s normal use for these nutrients. Too little magnesium can result in headaches and fatigue, worsening the effects of stress.

FISH

Fish including salmon, tuna and halibut contain omega-3 fats which help manage adrenaline levels to help keep calm. Omega-3s can also help ease depression.

ALMONDS

Almonds contain many vitamins and minerals that are involved in the production of serotonin, which is the body’s natural stress reliever. These vitamins include vitamin B2, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc.

WHOLE GRAINS

When cortisol levels are high, B-vitamins are depleted. Grains like wheat, oats, quinoa and brown rice can provide a source of B-vitamins the body needs for better energy production and mental function.

CITRUS

Along with the depletion of B-vitamins, high cortisol levels also affect vitamin C levels. Citrus will help fight off stress-induced illness as well as regulate hormone levels.