Alternative Baking Ingredients

Sponsored Content

The holidays are a time for stuffing your face full of delicious food and loosening your belt once you’re done. However, if you are really trying to watch what you eat but still want to enjoy some holiday treats, then here are five alternative baking ingredients you can use.

COCONUT FLOUR INSTEAD OF WHITE FLOUR

Coconut flour is gluten-free, high in fiber and protein, and hypoallergenic but it can have a dominating bitter taste if too much is used. To avoid this, substitute just ½ cup at a time instead of completely switching it out to ensure you get the health benefits with a great taste.

NATURAL HONEY INSTEAD OF SUGAR

Natural Honey is less likely to spike your blood sugar and your body can metabolize it easier. Because honey is naturally sweeter than sugar, you may be able to use less of it overall while enjoying the taste of your holiday treats.

CHIA SEEDS INSTEAD OF EGGS

Chia Seeds are rich in omega-3s and fiber and can help boost energy and stabilize blood sugar. To prepare the Chia Seeds, take one tbsp of the seeds and add them to one cup of water and let them sit for 10 minutes. This one cup can eliminate one egg in your recipe. They work best for cookies, muffins, and cakes.

UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE INSTEAD OF SUGAR

Most unsweetened applesauce contains only 80-100 calories and 2-3 grams of fiber per cup so making the swap from sugar to unsweetened applesauce can help you from gaining weight in baked goods. But because unsweetened applesauce has a high percentage of water content, it is important to reduce the overall amount of liquid by about 2-3 tbsp in the recipe.

AVOCADO INSTEAD OF BUTTER

Substituting some butter in recipes is a great way to lower the calories in recipes. Avocado also has no sodium, reduces cholesterol, and helps to fight against heart disease. When baking with avocado, lower the oven temperature by 25 percent and increase the baking time.