Roving DUI checkpoints, increased patrols over long holiday weekend

DUI checkpoint. Photo courtesy of flickr.com.

The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office and the Larimer County DUI Task Force will be conducting roving DUI checkpoints Wednesday, July 3, according to a news release from the Sheriff’s Office. Increased patrols will be added throughout the long holiday weekend as well.

The checkpoints are part of the Colorado Department of Transportation Checkpoint Colorado campaign and The Heat is On. The time and location of checkpoints are not released in advance.

“The goals of the checkpoints are to decrease the number of impaired drivers on Colorado roadways, educate the public regarding the dangers of drinking and driving, and to prevent alcohol related traffic fatalities. According to CDOT, each year more than 26,000 people are arrested for DUI and nearly 150 people are killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes – representing more than one-third of Colorado’s total motor vehicle fatalities.  Drug impaired driving is also a serious problem, with 16 percent of fatalities (2006-2010) involving drivers who tested positive for drugs,” the release stated.

In addition to the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office, the Larimer County DUI Task Force includes Fort Collins Police Services, Loveland Police Department, Colorado State University Police Department and the Colorado State Patrol.