A day of remembrance, but not rest: CSU and Fort Collins celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day

On Monday, CSU students and the Fort Collins community joined together in solidarity and marched through their city in honor of the man who stood for justice just 60 years ago: Martin Luther King Jr.

“This afternoon we gather to recognize a great leader, but we also gather as a thousand faces of all ages and colors and experiences, as a community of people united by that believe in that underlying dream,” said CSU President Tony Frank at the beginning of the program that followed the march, according to the Loveland Reporter-Herald. “Freedom is ours, to keep or to lose. It’s been one for all of us through the sacrifices for all of us but today we must all be champions, and it’s in that spirit that we marched this afternoon.”

The march started at 1 p.m. and continued with a presentation of the winner of the Poudre School District essay and poetry contest at 1:45 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom, according to a university news release.

“Over the years, the walk has had different iterations including ending in downtown with live celebrations,” said Peggy Lyle of the Downtown Business Association. “And for at least the last five years it kicks off in Old Town Square and concludes on the CSU campus.”

A volunteer fair followed, encouraging community members to participate in making Fort Collins greater together. Attendees were bussed back to Old Town for free.

“Downtown Fort Collins is very proud to host the start of this march, which signifies such a positive demonstration of our community,” Lyle said.

Caitlin Johnson, a junior nutrition major, agreed.

“I think it’s important to honor a great man,” Johnson said.

The Collegian Staff can be reached at news@collegian.com.