As Told by Tam: Be respectful on social media when talking about politics

An addition a student added to the wall depicting Republican Nominee Donald Trump. (Tony Villalobos May| Collegian)

We have all seen the Facebook posts saying, “If you do not vote for _______, then unfriend me.” I get that everyone has a right to their own thoughts and opinions, but you should not make someone else feel bad for opposing your views. Countless times I see individual’s on social media posting about the candidate they want to see in the White House and then start bashing other individuals’ views, just because they do not agree with them. This is wrong.

If you are going to post about politics on social media, do not make someone else feel bad or unfriend them because you both have opposing views. If you feel very strongly on that topic and believe they should unfriend you, then you unfriend them first. If your friends or family members have never said anything about politics to you or on social media, there is no need to unfriend them. If they never said one thing to you about politics, they do not deserve to be unfriended because you disagree on their political stance.

Colorado State University junior Sam Gould wears a Hillary Clinton sticker while attending a political event in the plaza on Tuesday afternoon. Students and people from the Fort Collins area debated social and political issues during the event. (Forrest Czarnecki | Collegian)

My friends and I all have different political views and we do not see the need to unfriend one another on social media. We typically do not talk about politics with one another because we know we disagree and will not change one another’s mind on the topic at hand. I would never unfriend my friends on social media because of who they vote for.

On the other hand, if you feel strongly about your political views, that is 100% your right. If you feel that you cannot be friends on social media with someone who did not vote for your candidate, then unfriend them and maybe do not talk to them outside of social media. Your feelings towards that person should be held accountable both on social media and outside of it. Those people with opposing views will feel the same way on and off of social media, so do yourself a favor and do not be friends with them.

If you see someone post “If you do not vote for __________, please unfriend me,” I would suggest un-friending that person. It takes an immature person to write something like that on their social media. Everyone has a right to their own opinions and, obviously, your friend does not feel that way. The easiest thing to do for them is to unfriend them and move on with your life, surrounding yourself with understanding individual’s who will listen to your views and appreciate your additions to the conversation instead.

Do not unfriend someone because of their political views. If you feel so strongly about politics and do not want to be friends with that person then do not be friends with them. If you see someone posting about un-friending them because of politics then unfriend them because they are not yet mature enough to listen to opposing views and you do not want to be friends with them. Keep it friendly on social media rams, we are all college students trying to make it through school in one piece. Support one another in every endeavor and belief they may hold. Stop tearing each other down, it is time to start applauding one another.

Collegian writer Tamra Smalewitz can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @tamrasmalewitz.