NightLife: Slamogadro – a poet’s delight

Going to a poetry slam is something that should be on every college student’s bucket list. Slamogadro’s poetry slam takes place on the last Sunday of every month at 7:30 pm, and it is something that everyone should experience. Poets can sign up at 7 pm to participate, and everyone is welcome.

14182357_1758722884385648_213924880_n.jpg
Photo by Haley Brigger

For anybody who hasn’t gone to Avogadro’s Bar and Grill, it’s a cafe setting with fantastical murals on the walls and plenty of seats for a group study session. The food is relatively inexpensive despite being delicious, and for those 21+, they serve various alcoholic drinks too.

On the last Sunday of every month, people gather at Avogadro’s for a special event called Slamogadro. Started by a group of college students in 2014, this event has been growing and welcoming new students as they come and go.

“It’s tough to boil it down to one moment or performance, but every month we’re blown away by the work of our local poets and by the sense of community that’s been built up over the past two and a half years,” said Chris Vanjonack, one of the founding members of Slamogadro. “It’s a really positive, supportive environment, and we’re happy that it’s emerged as a space for local creatives.”

14193737_1758722887718981_1652206877_n.jpg
Photo by Haley Brigger

Poems read at Slamogadro include a variety of emotions, some difficult and some light-hearted as the evening moves through the poetry. Religion, personal experiences, sexuality, local social problems, memoirs, and more topics are all welcomed and sanctioned in the safe space of the poetry stage.

To make things interesting, they also have a competition for motivation. Winner takes home the tip buckets that is passed around as poets and spectators contribute to the event. With the “Voice of God” as the score keeper, the best score after three rounds gets paid for their outstanding poetry. Judging is based on performance as well as content, but the applause goes to the poet, not the score!

14194286_1758722891052314_440311101_n.jpg
Photo by Haley Brigger

Don’t want to join the competition? Offer yourself as the “sacrificial goat” to warm up the poets and audiences alike as you perform your poem first on stage.

“I really believe that engaging in spoken word poetry can be greatly beneficial for just about anyone, ” said Vanjonack. “It’s so important for young people, who so often need an outlet to speak to their experience and have those experiences and feelings validated by an appreciative, welcoming community that is not only willing to hear their story but is eager to listen and to understand.”

14218337_1758722877718982_590850001_n.jpg
Photo by Haley Brigger

With jokes and humor between poets to keep the mood lightened, this is a well-organized event. With a diverse demographic in the audience, feedback from the judges and fellow poets to listen, understand, and possibly critique any poems brave enough to be read, it is a great place for all levels of poets.

Want to know more or contact the various poets who help promote and host this event? You can reach them on their Facebook page and find more information. There you can connect with the grad students Chris Vanjonack, Lauren Funai, Andrew Walker, Kate McHargue, Summers Baker, Erin Oppenheim, and Davis Webster, the founders of the event.

Want to go to more poetry slams than just once a month? Visit the Bean Cycle’s poetry slam as well on the first Friday of the month. Their sign up is at 7:30 pm, but get there early if you want a seat!! For their information, visit their website.

Nightlife Writer Anna Hoover can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @Hoovanna_Disny.