As Told by Tam: Get off your phone

CSU student Jack Carlson helps an elderly Fort Collins citizen with her iPhone.

Have you ever been out to dinner with friends or family and everyone but you is on their phone? Have you ever been talking to someone and all they are doing is checking their phone every five seconds? Ever have someone run into you because they were not paying attention and on their phone? Ever sit in front of someone who plays on their phone the entire class period?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then I am sure you are as annoyed about it as I am. It seems as though every time I go out to eat dinner with my friends they are texting someone, checking social media or playing some new game. Read below for some Do’s and Don’ts about being on your phone in public.

1. No Phones at the Table

Don’t be on your phone while out eating with others. When you go out to eat, put your phone away in your purse or pocket and talk to everyone around you. The world will not end between the time you put your phone away and talk to others. It is disrespectful to others to always be looking down at your phone and not making conversation. It also makes the person who is talking feel as though they are being ignored.

Junior human development and family studies major Paige Koster shows Ginny Crawford how to sync her iPhone and iPad.

2. Make Classrooms a No-Phone Zone

Do put your phone away during class. We have all been in that one class where the person in front of us is checking their Facebook, causing you to get distracted and not pay attention to the teacher. We are paying good money to go to CSU, so just put your phone away for 50 minutes or 75 minutes and pay attention in class.

3. Look Where You Are Going

Don’t text and walk! Yes, I am guilty of this, but when I do it I pick my head up every once in a while to see where I am going. I have had to swerve on campus because someone has their head down texting or doing something on their phone that is more important than walking in the road. Please, if you are going to text and walk, at least pick your head up to see where you are going so you do not run into anyone or anything. 

A CSU student takes a selfie with Michelle Kwan during her visit to campus campaigning for Hillary Clinton. Photo credit: Elliott Jerge

4. When You Can Talk, Don’t Text

Do put your phone down when someone is speaking to you. I can say that whenever my friends are looking at their phones, I know they are not listening to me. That is not only rude, but it makes me not want to talk anymore to see if they were actually paying attention. Whenever you are with someone, get off your phone and give them your full attention. If you were speaking and someone was on their phone the whole time, would you like it? I do not think you would.

Just think the next time you are out with others about being on your phone. Give everyone the courtesy you wish to receive when talking or out at dinner. By being off you phone, you will have good, meaningful conversations and you can always check your phone when you are not with friends or family.

Collegian writer Tamra Smalewitz can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @tamrasmalewitz.