5 Strategies for Landing Your Dream Job After Graduation

Graduated and feeling lost about your next steps? Looking to set up your life, find a good job, and earn money? Who doesn’t want that, right?...

Our Print Edition
Courtesy of Democratic Socialists of America Fort Collins
Palestine Benefit Concert supports local families through art, music
Cadence Cardona, Staff Reporter • July 14, 2024
National: Shooting at Trump rally leaves attendee dead, violence condemned by Colorado politicians
Allie Seibel, Editor in Chief • July 14, 2024
A graphic of a mother and daughter walking down a red, white and blue striped path facing fireworks in the distance. At the base of the path is a small brown truck.
Fort Collins' annual Independence Day Parade draws international crowd
Sophia Masia, Staff Reporter • July 9, 2024
In an indoor gym, a woman track athlete holds a shotput ball above her head in preparation to throw.
Morris, Lesnar, Hawkins represent Rams in US Summer Olympics team trials
Adam Gross, Staff Reporter • July 7, 2024
View All

Travel: five college budget destinations for your next five-day trip

We are three weeks back into the semester, and spring break is already feeling like it was a lifetime ago. That one week of freedom from all responsibilities is the week all college students look forward to.

There’s the well-known Mexico and Miami trips, but let’s be honest, do you really want to travel somewhere so cliché?  What about switching it up for 2017 and adventuring somewhere so incredible that all of your Facebook friends will be jealous?

Depending on where you travel and where you stay, a trip anywhere out of the state can break the bank, especially for broke college students like myself. Here are my personal top five travel destinations for any budget:

Photo: Blue Sky Ceremony
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Photo: Blue Sky Ceremony)
  1. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

As one of the most beautiful islands you will ever walk on, St. Thomas is a hidden gem. The island is the location of the real Black Beard Castle, which is now a distillery making genuine pirate rum. If you want to live like a pirate for a week, St. Thomas might be the place for you. The island also offers beautiful beaches, surfing, hot-spots and even hiking trails located practically everywhere on the island. You may also be able to find some low-budget hotels.

Photo: Destination Weddings
Treasure Beach, Jamaica (Photo: Destination Weddings)

2. Treasure Beach, Jamaica 

While Jamaica is known for being a popular spring break destination, the people of Treasure Beach pride themselves on being a simple string of fishing villages. Here, you can get away from the urban life for your next vacation and sit in peace on the six miles of open beach and hidden coves. There are plenty of areas to snorkel, surf or maybe just take a swim. 

Photo: My Classic Garage
South Fork, Colorado (Photo: My Classic Garage)

3. South Fork, Colorado

If beaches are not your thing and snow is, Wolf Creek Ski Resort is only a 10-minute drive from South Fork. They are known for having the best and deepest snow bases in Colorado. There are plenty of activities for any outdoor enthusiast during both winter and summer. Not only is there the ski resort, but there are endless trails for snowmobiling, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. On the other side of the spectrum, summer time fun includes hiking and biking trails, plus amazing white water rafting. Check out spring lodging prices here

Photo: Myrtle Beach Condos
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (Photo: Myrtle Beach Condos)

4. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

While being a more well-known destination, Myrtle Beach remains a small fishing community. There are plenty of beaches to lay out on during the day and an equal amount of exciting night life in town. Local shops, and of course the amusement park on the peer, give any visitor a huge amount of options any part of the day. 

Photo: Odyssey
Austin, Texas (Photo: Odyssey)

5. Austin, Texas

It may not seem like a very exciting place to go on a vacation, but Austin is actually the live music capital of the world. If you are a music lover, then this is the place to go. There are always non-stop concerts and events to attend on any given day of the week. If concerts are not your thing, the city offers plenty of shopping, outdoor activities and food up to your eyeballs. 

Spring break might still be a year away, but summer vacation is approaching quickly. It is never a bad idea to start saving up and planning now. Safe travels! 

Collegian Travel Blogger Katelyn Mitchell can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @mitch_kate_.