As Told by Tam: five ways to beat senioritis

CSU President Tony Frank at graduation.
CSU President Tony Frank at graduation. (Collegian File Photo.)

It’s that time of year again — it’s after spring break, we are all close to the summer and you are thinking, “I cannot do this any more, nor do I want to do this any more.” Sounds familiar, right? Well, you are not alone. Personally, I have felt this way since freshman year and it is only getting worse as I am nearing my senior year of college.

However, there are ways to not let yourself succumb to the overwhelming feeling of senioritis while continuing on your path of education until you are handed that glorious diploma. 

1. Give yourself a pep talk. Encourage yourself to finish out the semester strong so that you not only have good grades, but can feel confident in yourself for achieving when you felt like you could not make it anymore. Tell yourself how close you are to summer or graduation. 
  2. Don’t psych yourself out. Do not let the amount of homework, projects and tests piling up give you anxiety and make you want to say, “I quit.” You are not done and you should not give up — you should challenge yourself to continue on your educational path. You can even bribe yourself. If you have been wanting a new watch or purse or anything, tell yourself that if you get two As in classes at the end of the semester, you are going to splurge on whatever it is you have been wanting.
  3. Study with others. Studying with others allows you to get better grades in class, but also gets you motivated to keep working hard. Some people thrive on competition, so make yourself compete with others in your study group. Say that you want to do better on a test than someone. Work harder to do so, but if you are like me and could not care if someone does better than you in a class, use the study group to motivate you to stay engaged.
  4. Give yourself a break. It is important to allow yourself time in between studying, work and running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Read a book, watch a TV show or even go outside and bike, run, walk or any other outdoor activity. By giving yourself a break, you are allowing yourself time off from school to relax and recharge so that when you are ready to go back to work, you are ready to go.
  5. Mark your calendar. Start crossing off each day at night. It will allow you to see how fast time is going and that you are so close to summer and ready for you break. It also allows you to cross of the completed tasks you have marked down for that day.

You are so close to the end, Rams, and you can do it. Let yourself finish the semester strong and ready for the sweet entrance of summer. Senioritis is not fun to have, but it is curable and no dropping out will not cure it.

Collegian Advice Blogger Tamra Smalewitz can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @tamrasmalewitz.