Navigating the aftermath of Valentine’s Day as a single lady or gent

Sarah Ross

A solo journey (via Zemanta)

It’s that time of year again. Love is still lingering in the air, leftover from the red rush that we call Valentine’s Day.

There is discount chocolate everywhere, everything is in shades of red and every color of pink imaginable and everything has sappy or cheesy quotes slapped across them, even when they seem unnecessary. This is all even more annoying if you happen to find yourself single on this years’ holiday (especially if you can tag ‘again’ at the end of ‘single’).

It’s a holiday meant just to spite you, to rub it into your face that you lack something, right? Wrong. There are many things you can do to celebrate yourself this holiday, and focusing a whole day on yourself will feel so much better than a whole day focused on someone else, am I right?

Here’s a list to help you think of some things to do to help you recover from the bummer that was Valentine’s Day.

Writing Poems (via Zemanta)
  1. Write yourself a love poem
  2. Create a spa day for yourself
  3. Use your creativity
  4. Practice meditation
  5. Visit a farmer’s market
  6. Book a session with a practitioner
  7. Play outside
  8. Read a magazine/book
  9. Take yourself on a date
  10. Take a bath
  11. Nourish yourself with water
  12. Clear the clutter
  13. Cyclamen flowers
    Cyclamen flowers (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Get fresh flowers

14. Re-evaluate your relationships
  15. Do some yoga
  16. Oil rub down
  17. Cleanse
  18. Cook for yourself
  19. Sleep in
  20. Enjoy a healthy, pleasurable meal
  21. Dance
  22. Treat yourself to dark chocolate and wine
  23. Make a vision board
  24. Practice positive affirmations
  25. Journal
  26. Tidy up and light some candles
Joy (via Flickr)

Our advice? Get a mason jar, fill it with slips like this, and when you are feeling down next time, or the Single’s Awareness Day blues get you down, pull one out and do it.

You can set them aside as you do them and refill them every time it gets empty. Remember, this may be a week about love, but the best love you will always keep is the love of yourself.

What do you do to take care of yourself and make yourself feel special? What did we miss? Let us know in the comments!

Collegian Blogger Sarah Ross can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @HowSarahTweets. Read more of her content on AltLife.collegian.com or at collegian.com under Music. Leave a comment!