CSU women’s lacrosse mentally ready for Rocky Mountain showdown

The CSU women's lacrosse team practices on the West Lawn wednesday afternoon. The Rams will play in the Mile High Invitational this weekend in Boulder.
The CSU women’s lacrosse team practices on the West Lawn wednesday afternoon. The Rams will play in the Mile High Invitational this weekend in Boulder.

CSU doesn’t ordinarily give second chances.

Tomorrow night at 5:30 p.m., the women’s lacrosse team will take on CU-Boulder less than a week after beating them in a thrilling 10-9 victory.

This time though, the stakes are higher. The winner of this game will bring home the Rocky Mountain Women’s Lacrosse League trophy.

The recent, bizarre April-blizzard adds to the hype, as neither team was able to practice much throughout the week.

“The snow put a huge damper on our practice schedule this week,” CSU coach Lindsey Hudek said. “It’s hard to focus after so many days off, but it was also a good time for the girls to recover and get homework done.”

Although the Rams came away with a win last week, focus was an element that Hudek felt was missing. That largely contributed to the unexpected nail-biter and close ending score.

“Last week we had so much going on in terms of hosting the game, it being the breast cancer game and senior night,” she said. “I think this time, our minds will be in the right place.”

On the other end, CU is still nursing the wound left by the narrow loss. They also had to figure out alternative practices thanks to Colorado’s weird weather.

“The snow has made it bit of challenge for practice this week,” CU attack Avery Toothman said. “But our minds are still fresh from our last game, and everyone knows what needs to be done. We’ve all been really excited and pumped up all week to play CSU again.”

Likewise, the CSU players have heeded their coaches’ remonstrations, and are ready to get back out there, and play like the nation’s No. 1 team despite only having two practices in Loveland throughout the week.

“We know what mistakes we made against their defense and offense and are ready to make up for those,” senior captain Maddie Garcia said. “If we play state lacrosse, there is absolutely no possibility we will lose.”

As far as the game being at Kittredge Field in Boulder, the Rams are unconcerned. They only had one home field game the entire season, which also happened to be one of their lowest scoring.

“We always play better when we travel, we get more mentally serious,” senior captain Sarah Langlie said. “After how we played them last week, we are all really pumped to play them again and show them that we can overcome any obstacles.”

Still, Friday’s game will not likely be a runaway victory for CSU. Any Rocky Mountain Showdown is bound to be electric with passionate tension, from both the spectators and the players themselves.

“This is a game we will always want to win, and this time we have to win it if we want to hold the league championship trophy,” Hudek said. “It will be a very tough game though.”

Although the Rams were not able to get out on the field to prepare physically, each of them has been reminded to ready themselves mentally, for another taxing matchup.

“Last time we played Boulder at home, it was definitely a mental game,” Langlie said. “I’m very excited to get out there and play with my team, I have confidence in everyone that we will fight like we have been this whole season and play our hardest.”

Women’s Lacrosse Beat Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com.