CSU track and field owns podium at Spank Blasing Invitational

Collegian | Ava Kerzic

Braidon Nourse, Sports Reporter

Just two weeks after the indoor track and field season came to a close, the Colorado State University Rams started their outdoor campaign.

The team competed at the Spank Blasing Invitational held at Colorado State University Pueblo against Division I and II schools from Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Nebraska.

The women’s team was all over the podium at the invitational. On the track, Lauren Offerman took first in the 1,500-meter run. Lexie Keller started her campaign strong as well, taking second in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.07 seconds. Jahzara Davis came in third right behind Keller with a time of 14.46 seconds.

The women’s success continued on the track with a 1-2 finish in the 400-meter dash by Jessica Ozoude and Grace Goldsworthy. Janyah Jasper finished first in the 100-meter dash and third in the 200-meter dash.

Yolonda Johnson took first in the 400-meter hurdles. Kylie Poole finished second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Finally, to cap off the women’s running success, the CSU women’s ‘A’ team finished third in the 4×400-meter relay.

Then came the field events for the women, in which they also found success.

Paxton Gutierrez placed second in the javelin throw with a mark of 36 meters. In shot put, Gabi McDonald and Michaela Hawkins placed first and third with marks of 15.23 meters and 13.87 meters, respectively. In the discus throw, the women launched themselves into a 1-2-3 finish by Hawkins, Morgan Stewart and McDonald, respectively.

The field success continued into the jumps, starting with the long jump. Keller and Makayla Williams took first and second, respectively. Celyn Stermer placed second in the pole vault with a clearance of four meters.

The men’s team also performed well in the field events, with a few top-three finishes in the hammer throw, discus throw, pole vault and triple jump.

Avery Lux took second in the hammer throw with a distance of 56.49 meters. In the discus throw, Adam Dawson and Jackson Morris took second and third with distances of 53.56 meters and 51.09 meters, respectively. Eldridge Harris tied for second in the pole vault with a 5.10-meter clearance. Finally, Allam Bushara placed second in the triple jump with a mark of 5.11 meters.

On the track, there were a few notable performances for the men. Two men’s 4×400-meter relay teams placed in the top three: The CSU ‘A’ team placed first and the ‘B’ team placed third. The only other top-three men’s finish on the track was Andrew Doctor in third in the 110-meter hurdles.

The Rams will compete again starting March 31, when they will travel to California for the West Coast Relays.

Reach Braidon Nourse at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @BraidonNourse.