Mountain West postpones all fall sports

Colorado State University athletics shows nine new positive cases of COVID-19 after its most recent round of testing, just hours before the Mountain West Conference announced it would be postponing all fall sports until the spring.

With the postponement of fall sports, we will devote our full attention to ensuring our student-athletes can have the most meaningful experience which they rightly deserve.”-Joe Parker, CSU athletics director

CSU administered 150 COVID-19 tests to its student-athletes on Aug. 3 after the halting of all football activities due a recent outbreak among the football team. Of the nine new positive cases, eight were from the football team.

In total, CSU athletics have seen 25 positive cases out of 420 tests, with 19 coming from the football team. Only nine of these cases currently remain active.

The press release including this information was emailed out to local media on Aug. 10. ESPN then reported the Mountain West Conference will be stopping all fall sports and looking to defer them to the spring.  

The Mountain West stated their plans to move fall athletics to the spring via a press release on their website.

“The Mountain West will begin to explore the feasibility of rescheduling fall sports competition, including the possibility of those sports competing in the spring, and develop options for consideration,” the release said.

CSU will look to affirm its focus on the support of Ram student-athletes during this absence of sports after a week of alleged COVID-19 cover ups and allegations of racism and verbal abuse.

“With the postponement of fall sports, we will devote our full attention to ensuring our student-athletes can have the most meaningful experience which they rightly deserve,” CSU Athletic Director Joe Parker said in a statement on CSU’s website.

The Mountain West joins the Ivy League, Mid-American, Big 10 and Pac-12 athletic conferences in a complete postponement of fall athletics.   

Scott Nies can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @scott_nies98.