Colorado State soccer adds Scachetti to coaching staff

The Colorado State University women’s soccer team is coming off their best season in program history, and they look to build off that by adding another mind with fresh ideas to their coaching staff.

On Monday, head coach Bill Hempen announced the hiring of Joe Scachetti as a new assistant coach for the Rams.

“I feel extremely honored and privileged to become a part of the Ram family here at Colorado State,” Scachetti said. “I want to thank head coach Bill Hempen, coach Tori Ball, athletic director Joe Parker, the student-athletes and the administration for this opportunity to become a part of a special place. I am very eager to get onto campus and get started with the program.”

Scachetti spent last season as the head coach at Warren Wilson College. He coached both the men’s and women’s programs for the Owls. Prior to his time at Warren Wilson College, he was a member of the staff for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was a member of the Tar Heels men’s program for three seasons. The veteran coach also has seven seasons of collegiate experience under his belt, including stints at UNC Asheville and Whittier College.

Scachetti fills the void left by former assistant coach Seb Furness, who was hired on Jan. 3, 2020, as an assistant coach for Louisiana State University.

Scachetti is expected to coach the goalkeepers. CSU’s goalkeeping has improved each of the last three seasons. Last season, the Rams, under star sophomore goalie Gabi McDonald, allowed an all-time program low 15 goals. That was an improvement on the 20 goals allowed in 2018 and the 30 goals that squeezed in during 2017.

Scachetti can hopefully ease into his new role, as McDonald is already one of the best players in the Mountain West and will be entering her junior season.

“Joe (Scachetti) has definitely worked at his craft,” Hempen said. “He brings the same passion for the game as his predecessor, and we look forward to having him be a part of our Ramily. Although (Scachetti’s) top priority will be coach and mentor to our goalkeepers, we will use his enthusiasm for all aspects of our program: recruiting, on-field coaching, camp programming and much more.”

CSU finished last season 12-5-3 and made an appearance in the Mountain West Championship tournament.

Bailey Bassett can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @baileybassett_