Rams victorious against Utah State with a close 56-55 win

Praise comes easy when you get the results you want, but it’s hard to come by when you’re unable to secure the desired outcome. Coming off a tough road loss to Fresno State, the Colorado State women’s basketball team responded by edging out Utah State with a 56-55 win on Saturday. 

“We just needed that; these kids needed that victory,” head coach Ryun Williams said. “I’m proud of how everybody gave their very best as far as staying engaged and fighting every possession.”

Carried by versatile play from a group of upperclassmen, the Rams were able to beat a Utah State team that made the game uncomfortable at times for CSU. After a slow start, the Aggies exploded in the second quarter for 25 points, and they took a 32-28 lead into the locker room at the half.

The Rams responded in the second half. In the fourth quarter, Megan Jacobs drove into the paint and sent the ball to an open Jamie Bonnarens who knocked down a 3-pointer to give CSU a 52-47 lead with just over six minutes remaining. 

https://twitter.com/CSUWBasketball/status/1221197679503577091

The Rams held off a late push from the Aggies in the last couple of minutes as Utah State had a chance for the game-winner, but Hailey Bassett wasn’t able to hit the jumper. 

CSU finished the night shooting 23-56 from the field and 6-21 from beyond the arc. Makenzie Ellis chipped in 13 points and a steal, and Annie Brady had a solid performance for the Rams, scoring 11 points and eight rebounds. Bonnarens added nine points and had four steals. Both Ellis and Bonnarens played over 36 minutes in the

Makenzie Ellis dribbles the ball inside
Power Foward Makenzie Ellis dribbles the ball towards the hoop in the Rams 56-55 win over the visiting Utah State Aggies on Jan. 25 in Moby Arena. “ Two of those in a row [losses] would not have been nice,” Ellis said after the game. “ I’m glad we came out on the upside this time and I think it will build our momentum” (Gregory James | The Collegian)

game.

CSU was out-rebounded by the Aggies by a margin of 35-19, but the Aggies’ carelessness with the ball led to 20 turnovers, and the Rams capitalized on that, adding 21 points off those takeaways.

“It wasn’t pretty all the time, but welcome to Mountain West Conference play,” Williams said. 

Despite holding two of the Mountain West Conference’s high-scoring teams well below their usual 77+ points, the Rams have been unable to get above .500 in conference play as they sit 4-5. Nevertheless, coming off a one-point loss to Fresno, the Rams were happy not be on the wrong end of a one-score game this time around.

“I’m glad we came (out) on the upside this time,” Ellis said. “It feels good, it’s exciting and I think it’ll help build our momentum.” 

The Rams will resume conference play against the Nevada Wolf Pack this Wednesday, and they’ll travel to Reno, Nevada. 

Ryan Loberger can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @LobergerRyan.