Group of students participating in an art class while at school in the North East of England. They are using modelling clay and a teacher is helping them through the process.
The Influence of Art Education on Student Development

Education as a whole has always played an important role in the development and formation of the individual. Art education has an even greater...

CSU football prepares for statement game vs. Toledo

Orange you glad the Rams are back home? If so, you can catch the Rams sporting their orange uniforms for their annual Orange Out game. The orange represents Ag Day, a tradition that began in 1981.

Ag Day is hosted by CSU’s College of Agricultural Sciences and includes pre-game festivities such a BBQ and tailgate this Saturday as the Rams host the University of Toledo.

The Rams are coming off a big loss to Arkansas: not necessarily score-wise, but personnel-wise. During Saturday’s game, quarterback Collin Hill was hit low by a defender and suffered a torn ACL.

This is his third ACL injury of his career, with all three injuries occurring in the same leg. This is such a shame for a player who was poised to have a great season, with the Rams’ offense finally hitting their stride.

Coach Mike Bobo announced that redshirt junior Patrick O’Brien will start the contest on Saturday. The talented transfer from Nebraska will get his first start, and Bobo wants him to just be himself.

“I would like Patrick to just go and do his job, prepare and be ready to play at his best,” Bobo said. “Sometimes when we press too much to prove something to somebody else, we end up letting ourselves down and our team down.”

Ej Scott (3) catches a pass from Collin Hill(15) during CSU's first home game. CSU defeats Western Illinois 38-13.
E.J. Scott Jr. (3) catches a pass from Collin Hill (15) during Colorado State University’s first home game. CSU defeats Western Illinois 38-13. (Devin Cornelius | Collegian)

With a new quarterback under center, the Rams look to stay hot on the offensive side of the ball. The Rams have weapons at all skill positions on offense and can make O’Brien’s transition to starter a bit easier.

Backing up O’Brien will be redshirt sophomore Justice McCoy. The two quarterbacks have been battling for the backup position since the beginning of camp, but they are now holding the keys to the car with Hill out. 

Their opponent, the Toledo Rockets, is a very balanced team. The Rockets love to run the football, but they aren’t afraid to let it fly through the air. They boast a 1-1 record with a loss against the University of Kentucky in week one and a victory against Murray State in week two.

This is the first matchup against the Rockets since 1973. The Rockets are a part of the Mid-American Conference, and the Rams haven’t played a team from that conference since 2010.

The Rams will have their hands full on Saturday with a team that is two dimensional on offense. With both teams averaging nearly 35 points per game, this contest can very well be a barn burner.

As we already know, if the Rams can keep themselves out of trouble with turnovers and mental mistakes, they have a great chance of walking away from Saturday victorious and with a 2-2 record.

Saturday’s contest begins at 8:15 p.m. MT time at Canvas Stadium. Remember to wear your orange.

Junior Guerrero can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @juniorg45.