CSU Women’s Basketball signs Makenzie Ellis to financial aid agreement

After a season of struggles, the Colorado State University women’s basketball team has started looking to the future. The team announced April 8 that they signed graduate transfer Makenzie Ellis to a financial aid agreement.

Ellis will have immediate eligibility. The forward’s basketball career has been successful so far. She was selected to the 2014 USA Women’s U17 National Team trials while attending Booker T. Washington High School in her home town of Tulsa, Oklahoma. According to ESPN, Ellis was the No. 98-rated player in the country coming out of high school, 15th at her position. She remained high in the rankings, despite being on the sidelines due to an injury her senior year. She was also a McDonald’s All-American nominee, selected as a Tulsa World All-State nominee and she received a nod for the Oklahoma 6A All-State Tournament First Team.

After high school, Ellis played two seasons at the University of Colorado, Boulder and two seasons at Southern Methodist University. Ellis started 33 of 33 games for the Buffs in her sophomore season (2016-17) and performed well. She had an average of 6.4 points per game and a .371 three-point field goal percentage. She also had a team second-best in rebounds per game that season at 4.2 rebounds per game. Ellis was also second on the team in free throw percentage her freshman season, sinking 26-of-31 from the line.

In her time in Boulder, Ellis performed well against an opponent that will remember her when she arrives at CSU. She had a 16-point, 4-for-4 three-point shot night against the University of Wyoming back in 2016.

She then transferred to SMU, where she, again, led the team in free throws. She went 31-for-38 from the line in 29 appearances in the 2018-19 season.

“We are very excited to welcome Makenzie to Colorado State women’s basketball,” Head Coach Ryun Williams said in a press release. “I just love how Makenzie competes. Her toughness, the intensity she plays with and the versatility to her game will be welcome additions to our lineup. She is a confident young lady with a very good basketball IQ and will bring a mature, winning approach to our program.”

Ellis is the second new addition to the team this offseason, joining Australian commit Katia Stamatelopoulos. Current Rams — Jamie Bonnarens, Megan Jacobs, Marlee Kyles and Tori Williams — will suit up for the team for the first time next season after redshirting the 2018-19 season.

Ashley Potts can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @ashleypotts09.