Collin Hill named CSU’s starting quarterback for the Border War

Colorado State Coach Mike Bobo announced during his weekly press conference on Monday that redshirt sophomore quarterback Collin Hill will start under center for the Rams in the Border War Oct. 26. 

“We made the decision Saturday as a staff and I told the guys yesterday that Collin Hill will start this game,” Bobo said. 

The start will mark Hill’s fourth career collegiate start, and first since his true freshman season in 2016.

Overall, Hill has completed 25-48 passes for 288 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in six appearances off the bench this season.

For the most part, Hill has struggled under a limited role in which he usually only plays for a few possessions.

But, the quarterback’s most recent performance against Boise State University was his most efficient since going 21-27 through the air for 315 yards and four touchdowns against Northern Colorado in 2016.

Hill entered the game for graduate transfer K.J. Carta-Samuels early in the fourth quarter with CSU trailing the Broncos 49-14. The third-year signal caller immediately led the team to a quick seven points by going 7-7 through the air for 83 yards and a touchdown.

In total, Hill completed 12-14 passes against Boise State while accumulating 135 passing yards and zero interceptions. Hill’s second and final drive of the game resulted in a touchdown as well.

“Collin Hill did well in the game and it was good for him to go out and play well and get more than a series at a time,” Bobo said. 

In his only career start and appearance against the Cowboys, Hill set a career-high in both completions and passing yards.

CSU lost the game 31-17 but the quarterback collected 370 total passing yards off of 23 completions.

“We are 3-5 and I think we need a spark as a football team,” Bobo said. “I’ve been saying all along that he’s been practicing well and I felt like I would do something if we needed a better chance to win.”

Eddie Herz is a reporter for the Collegian and can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Eddie_Herz.