Suspensions lifted for CSU running backs Boddie, Kinsey Jr.

The Colorado State Rams will get some help on offense as coach Mike Bobo announced Monday that running backs Rashaad Boddie and Marvin Kinsey Jr. have been lifted from their suspensions.

The running backs were suspended before the season and have yet to take the field in 2018, but CSU Athletics has not announced why.

Boddie and Kinsey were suspended for violating team rules. The two running backs were forced to sit out the first half of the New Mexico Bowl last season. Boddie was also briefly suspended during fall camp this season.

Boddie and Kinsey will bolster the rushing attack as change-of-pace backs behind senior Izzy Matthews. Matthews has rushed for a total of 93 yards on 30 carries so far this season.

Sophomore running back Marcus McElroy stepped in as the first option behind Matthews while Boddie and Kinsey were suspended. McElroy was used sparingly against Hawaii as the running back collected 28 yards on four carries. The following week, McElroy rushed for 61 yards on 14 carries.

McElroy’s role will likely diminish with Boddie and Kinsey back in the mix. Matthews has not gotten off to an ideal start, so the return of the running backs should aid CSU’s backfield.

Boddie, a sophomore, made the most of his limited attempts as a true freshman last season. The running back rushed for a total of 254 yards on 44 attempts, an average of 5.8 per carry. 

Boddie, whose strong suit is working at the goal line and powering through tackles, rushed for a single-game personal-best 84 yards against Boise State last season. And though Boddie is a power back, he has some noticeable speed.

Kinsey, a junior, was not very effective last season while coming off of a season-ending injury in 2016. The running back collected 124 yards on only 24 carries last season.

Before the injury, the speedy running back flashed his potential. Kinsey rushed for 546 yards on 93 carries (5.9 yards per carry) in 2016. Kinsey scored seven touchdowns for the Rams two seasons ago. The junior’s season was highlighted by a 127-yard performance against New Mexico in which he broke loose for a 75-yard touchdown. Kinsey also gathered 97 yards on the ground earlier in the season against Northern Colorado.

Collegian sports reporter Eddie Herz can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Eddie_Herz.