Davis Bryant wins 2018 Colorado Junior Golf Championships

Incoming Colorado State freshman Davis Bryant defended his title in the 2018 Colorado Junior Championships. The tournament was held at the Air Force Academy’s Eisenhower Blue Golf Course in Colorado Springs.

The Aurora native won by four strokes, shooting a 6-under 210 (68-69-73). The tournament was a 54-hole event. Bryant is the first boy’s player to win the tournament in consecutive years since Steven Kupcho in 2010 and 2011. He is the fourth boy in the event’s history to win in consecutive years.

With his win in the event, Bryant advances to the Boys Junior PGA Championship for the second year in a row where he will compete against 143 other players. In 2017, Bryant tied for 14th place, shooting a 5-under 283 (73-74-69-67). Bryant also qualified for the U.S. Junior Amateur in 2017 where he advanced to match play before falling out of competition in the opening match.

The Junior PGA Championships serve as one of golf’s most reputable championships. Some of the sport’s biggest names got their start at the Junior PGA Championships including: Jordan Spieth, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Stewart Cink, Justin Leonard and many more stars of the sport.

The championship will be held from July 31-August 3 at the Jack Nicklaus-designed Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Ky.

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.