A pair of CSU players set to compete in FIBA tournaments overseas

Ryun Williams will bid farewell to a pair of Colorado State women’s basketball players over the summer as Lore Devos and Lena Svanholm make the trip to the FIBA U20 Women’s European Championship.

Devos and Svanholm will compete for Belgium and Denmark respectively, with the latter playing in Division B of the event. Both teams will begin their championship journey on July 7th.

The young Devos will be a centerpiece for the Rams in the upcoming season following the departure of program cornerstones Hannah Tvrdy and Stine Austgulen as well as the transfer of Sofie Tryggedsson. The trio of departures will rid the Rams of their two leading scorers as well as Tryggedsson, who served as a spark plug early in the season for the team before faltering down the stretch.

Devos averaged just over seven points and three rebounds for the Rams in her freshman season following an offensive explosion in the team’s opener with 25 points. Williams will be forced to increase his dependence on the young scorer after her return from overseas.

The native of Kortrijk, Belgium will look to continue her sterling play under the brightest lights following her success in the Mountain West Women’s Basketball tournament in Las Vegas last year where she averaged double-digit points before scoring another 19 in one of the squad’s two matchups in the WNIT.

Svanholm, having played the lowest number of minutes on the team of those that saw the court last season, will look to further develop her game over the summer with a stint playing for her country. Standing as the tallest player on the Rams roster, Svanholm’s development will be crucial for a team that played undersized for much of last season.

Both teams will have their games streamed on YouTube for free through the FIBA official account.

Collegian Sports Director Luke Zahlmann can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @lukezahlmann.