CSU’s Dax Deadrick signs contract to play professional hockey in Europe

Though every young athlete dreams of playing their sport professionally, very few ever make it to the level. Colorado State club hockey goalie Dax Deadrick is well on his way to living that dream after signing a professional contract to play hockey for Gastrikland in Sweden 

“I really do not have words to explain it,” Deadrick said. “I can’t seem to wrap my head around it, it’s the one thing I worked for. I left home to pursue it and it was never a sure thing, but being able to play means everything to me.”

goalie taking a break before next period begins
Junior, Dax Deadrick, taking a break before the start of another period during the CSU vs Eastern Michigan game. (Jordan Reyes | Collegian)

Deadrick spent the past two years as the number one option in net for the Rams. In his first year, he was a part of the most successful Rams team in recent history, contributing his stellar play in net as the Rams made their first national tournament appearance at the Division I level while winning All-League honors. 

The following season the Rams did not see the same success as they had the year before. A young team proved inconsistent at times; however, despite the varying success from the team, Deadrick remained a solid, consistent option for the Rams in goal.

Deadrick’s talents in net saved the Rams many times over the years and he will look to continue that high level of play at the next level.

“I need to keep doing what I’ve always done keep working hard,” Deadrick said. “I’ve been reaching out to people that have played in Sweeden to find out what I need to do to prepare for the next level.”

Some people that have seen Deadrick through this journey and guided him along the way are his parents and coaches that he has had over the years.

“I am really excited for Dax to get the opportunity to play professionally in Europe,” CSU head coach Jeff Degree said. “He has worked very hard to earn it in his time at CSU.  I have really enjoyed my time coaching him and developing a relationship with him off the ice.  His commitment to our team has been outstanding, particularly this year as we have struggled to find success with a very young team.”

Deadrick is the first CSU goalie to sign a contract at the professional level. Partnering with an agency that works with 93 hockey services, Deadrick was able to get in contact with Gastrickland.

Another big support system that Deadrick had through his hockey career were Tiffanie and Dale Greenrock, his biological mom and stepdad.  

“Just seeing all his hard work payoff is amazing,” said Tiffinie and Dale Greenrock. “We are so proud of his work ethic and love of the game. We have enjoyed every second of his journey. Dax has worked very hard and is very driven to be the best goaltender he can be. He is very passionate and dedicated. In seeing first hand it motivates us to want to help him in any way we can so he can achieve his goals and dreams. It has been our honor and privilege to be able to contribute in his journey and could not be prouder of him.”

Deadrick’s support from his mother never went unnoticed.

“When I made my first junior team, my mom gave me the only car that we had and had to find other transportation just so I could go from Butte, Montana all the way to Boulder just to play hockey,” Deadrick said. “I owe it all to her.”

Deadrick will be set to take the ice in the second week of August when the team’s training camp begins. The first games begin with preseason play in the opening weeks of September.

Deadrick, currently a fourth-year student, will take online classes to finish up his degree in human development and family studies. Deadrick will be walking at graduation at the end of the spring 2018 semester.  

Collegian sports reporter Evan Grant can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @EGrantSports.