Sportswomen of Colorado recognizes former softball standout Haley Hutton

Former Colorado State University softball standout Haley Hutton was recognized for the Outstanding Achievement in Softball on by the Sportswomen of Colorado Monday afternoon.

PHOTO: Colorado State Shortstop Haley Hutton rounds third on her way home during a game against UNLV at RamÕs Field on April 21, 2017. (Elliott Jerge | Collegian)
Colorado State shortstop Haley Hutton rounds third on her way home during a game against UNLV at Rams Field on April 21, 2017. (Elliott Jerge | Collegian)

Formed in the late seventies as an organization to acknowledge women’s achievements in sports, Sportswomen of Colorado’s nomination come on the heels of Hutton setting many career records during her time at CSU.

Sportswomen of Colorado’s stated purpose is to help empower, encourage and connect those who have helped further women’s sports endeavors in Colorado. Hutton will take her place next to Olympic athletes, among others, and certainly empowered the softball team during her time at CSU.

Hutton finished her career at CSU in second place all-time in both batting average and hits as well as first in walks and runs scored. She played her final season last year as she led the Rams with 51 hits on the season while also taking the Mountain West Defensive Player of the year award. She made the all-conference team four times, including two first-team selections.

This is not the first award Hutton has won for her achievements as a Ram. Last year, she was awarded the Thurman “Fum” McGraw Award, which recognizes Rams who have shown exceptional work in their academics and community as well as their athletics. These Rams are supposed to embody the CSU spirit.

Hutton will be honored alongside current and former winners on Sunday, March 11 at the Denver Marriott Tech Center at their 44th annual awards ceremony. Those who wish will have a chance to reserve a seat, as the event will go towards benefiting more women in Colorado.

Collegian reporter Mack Beaulieu can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on twitter @Macknz_James.