Rams fall to Oklahoma 70-55

The CSU women’s basketball team couldn’t get anything going offensively in their 70-55 loss to the No. 12/13 Oklahoma Sooners in Norman Sunday afternoon.

After thumping Adams State 76-29 in their last game, The Rams (2-3) were unable to carry that momentum into their second game against a ranked opponent this season. All three of the Rams losses have come on the road to teams with a combined 14-3 record.

The test proved too much for the Rams, who never held a lead in this one. Oklahoma’s Maddie Manning led all players in points and rebounds, with 16 and nine respectively. Sofie Tryggeddson was the only Ram in double digits, recording 11 points in 21 minutes of play. Ellen Nystrom and Elin Gustavsson struggled throughout the game, registering just six points on a combined 2-12 shooting.

Trailing for most of the game, the Rams became trigger happy from behind the arc, converting 11 of their 32 shots from deep. It was the inability to convert two-point field goals that limited them, finishing just 25 percent inside the three-point line.

Oklahoma’s strong third quarter, during which they outscored CSU 28-13, gave them a comfortable margin heading into the final period of play. Their ability to get to the line proved monumental in their success. The Sooners converted 20-25 free throws compared to just 8-11 for CSU. Their imposing play extended to the defensive side of the ball also, leading to seven blocked shots and seven steals which they translated into 17 points.

The early season woes for CSU can be attributed in part to the strength of opponents they have played. Washington, Nebraska and now Oklahoma are all coming off of postseason appearances in 2015.

The Rams will try to right the ship with a three-game home stand that begins with DU on Wednesday Nov. 30 at 7 p.m.

Collegian sports reporter Colin Barnard can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Colin_Barnard