CSU club wrestling deals with injuries as they host NCWA tournament

The Colorado State University club wrestling team was home this weekend as they hosted nine teams from around the country for the Colorado State NCWA Invite at the Glenn Morris Field House. It was a special opportunity for the program, as they were able to welcome back several CSU alumni wrestlers as well as youth wrestlers.

“Being able to host a tournament on campus in Fort Collins is very exciting for us,” head coach Kendall Dejonge said. “it is a great opportunity for us to connect with the Fort Collins community and wrestling community.”

The Rams finished 5th, as they were dealing with some injuries in the upper weight classes. CSU was only able to field wrestlers in five of the 10 weight classes.

Two CSU wrestlers finished in the top three spots in their division. Kendal Davis took first in the elite ladies division by way of a pin, and Terrel Platt took third place in the 174 lbs. weight class.

Despite the gaps in the lineup, the Rams have had some of their wrestlers get off to a great start to the season. Senior Mike Brungardt is one that caught the coaches eye.

“Mike had a great season last year, making it all the way to nationals,” Dejonge said “It looks like he is going to preform at a high level once again.”

Dejonge is also excited about a pair of his upcoming underclassmen wrestlers.

“Both Taylor Dawal [freshmen] and Terrel Platt [sophomore] have shown a lot of promise,” he said. “I’m excited to see what kind of wrestlers they can become, we really do have a solid group of wrestlers”.

The Rams hope they will be able to get healthy in time for the Western Regional Dual Championships in St. George, Utah. The Dual Championships pose a new challenge, because instead of participating as an individual contributing to a team score, each team wrestles in several dual style matches.

“I really hope the team can get healthy so we are able compete at the level I know we are capable of,” Dejonge said.

The Rams’ season will continue to ramp up as the second semester starts. They will play host to the NCWA Great Plains Conference Championship, where several CSU wrestlers are expected to qualify for nationals in Texas.

The Colorado State wrestling team welcomes male and female wrestlers of all skill level to come out and join the team. Students wanting to join can email coach Dejonge at csu.wrestling.coach@gmail.com or come to a practice. Practice is held from 7-9 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings at the south college field house.

Collegian sports reporter Tyler Johnson can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TylerGjohnson20