Former CSU Ram Joey Porter eligible for Pro Football Hall of Fame

The list of Modern Era nominees for the 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame were released Thursday, which includes former Colorado State linebacker Joey Porter.

Drafted in the third round of the 1999 NFL Draft, Porter was a four-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl champion (Super Bowl XL). In 13 seasons, Porter played in 198 games, recording 98 sacks and 665 career tackles.

Porter spent eight of his 13 NFL seasons as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, also playing for the Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals.

In 2006, Porter donated $200,000 for renovations to the CSU football locker room facility in Moby Arena. ” I am excited to be able to provide this gift to Colorado State football,” Porter said in a general release.

“My time at CSU was very special as a football player and a student-athlete. Coach Lubick provided me with an opportunity to pursue my dream of playing in college and the NFL. I am grateful for having had that opportunity, and this was a way for me and my family to invest in the future of the Rams,” Porter said.

Following his NFL career, Porter returned to Colorado State in 2013 as a defensive assistant under Jim McElwain. Porter served as a defensive coach, while completing his college degree.

In 2014, Porter returned to the NFL as a defensive assistant and linebackers coach with the Steelers, where he remains a staff member.

Collegian sports reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or Twitter @JustinTMichael.