Staff Picks: Border War – Colorado State at Wyoming

The Collegian sports desk weighs in on the Border War matchup

Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy
Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy

Score: 28-13 Colorado State

Prediction: The Cowboys are awful. Their colors are even worse. I’m not even from Colorado but I hate the Pokes. I love a good rivalry game though. Wyoming is 1-8 but rivalries bring out the best in teams so you can throw that record out the window. Actually, no you can’t – Wyoming is really, really bad. CSU has had a rough year but should beat the Pokes handily. 

____________________________________________________________

Football Reporter Keegan Pope
Football Reporter Keegan Pope

Score: 38-17 Colorado State

Prediction: CSU isn’t very good this year, as its record indicates. But the Cowboys are much, much worse. Wyoming has a standout running back in Brian Hill and an accurate quarterback in Cameron Coffman, though it’s unlikely he will play Saturday. Like CSU though, the Cowboys are among the country’s worst in turnover margin and defense. That doesn’t mean the Cowboys won’t have some revenge on their mind though, as CSU has smacked them around the past two years. There is still much to play for this season for the Rams, contrary to what lots of fans think, and CSU has enough talent and senior leadership to roll in this one and get one step closer to bowl eligibility.

CTV Sports Anchor Brett Kennedy
CTV Sports Anchor Brett Kennedy

Score: 21-13 Colorado State

Prediction: 1-8, that’s not pretty Wyoming. Those aren’t close losses either, most of those are blowouts. I see the Rams easily winning this one even with last week’s horrendous loss still nagging at the team’s heels. Wyoming doesn’t have a great defense at all which will open up opportunities for big plays from Rashard Higgins and company. For the third year in a row the Rams will take home the Boot. It’s pretty crazy to think that even with all that’s happened this year for the green and gold, the Rams still have a shot of making a bowl game this year!    

Football Reporter Geoff Huebner
Football Reporter Geoff Huber

Score: 35-21 Colorado State

Prediction : Wyoming is a struggling football team right now. Sophomore running back Brian Hill seems to be the one bright spot for the Cowboys, but Hill cannot carry the team on his shoulders alone and the Cowboys are simply outmatched on a talent level by Colorado State. Look for the offense to have a big bounceback week against a Wyoming defense that surrenders 35 points a game. CSU will leave Laramie hoisting the Bronze Boot for the third year in a row.

Assistant Sports Editor Sam Lounsberry
Assistant Sports Editor Sam Lounsberry

Score: 35-14 Colorado State

Prediction: Thankfully, I actually will be sticking in Fort Collins to cover the other men’s basketball exhibition. This could be one of the least meaningful Border Wars for all 106 teams. It’s really meaningless for Wyoming. This game is between a CSU team in a down year, and one of the worst teams in the nation in Wyoming. At the same time, the Border War is all the Pokes have this season. They’ll be fired up, enough for two touchdowns. As much as fans have complained about CSU’s record this year, the Rams are much better than Wyoming, and will prevail.

Justin Michael (sports reporter):

Score: 37-13 Colorado State

Prediction: Colorado State’s run to bowl eligibility starts this Saturday in Laramie. The Rams need to win three out of four to make a bowl game this season, and a loss at Wyoming would all but eliminate CSU from post-season contention. It has been a rough year for CSU football, but look for them to rebound Saturday. Wyoming is arguably the worst team in the Mountain West and can’t get to 2016  season soon enough. I fully expect CSU to throttle Wyoming on the road this weekend, and gain some momentum going into the last three weeks of the season.

Collegian Sports Desk can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.