Rams crush Pokes in Border War, bring Bronze Boot back to Fort Collins

[new_royalslider id=”409″]

Photos: Abbie Parr

The Border War was not much of a war at all as the Rams steamrolled the Pokes at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, Wyoming to keep the Bronze Boot in Colorado for a third straight year.

Colorado State (4-5, 2-3 MW) beat Wyoming (1-9, 1-5 MW) on its own turf by a score of 26-7. It was the first time all year that the Pokes failed to score in double digits, despite heading into the game with eight losses.

Izzy Matthews punched in a CSU touchdown on the first drive and the Rams never looked back. Deonte Clyburn forced a fumble on Wyoming’s first series to set up a CSU field goal. The Rams then moved down the field with some play action passes to Kivon Cartwright and scored on another short run by Izzy Matthews to go up 17-0 in the first quarter.

Jasen Oden Jr. did not suit up for the game due to an arm injury. Matthews got the goal line carries but it was Dalyn Dawkins who took the majority of the carries and led the Rams in rushing with 140 yards.

CSU quarterback Nick Stevens completed 11 of 15 passing attempts for 120 yards with one interception. Cartwright led the Rams in receiving with four catches for 56 yards.

After leading the offense to the red zone again, CSU quarterback Nick Stevens dove into the end zone for a rushing touchdown. The extra point was blocked and CSU went into the half up 23-0 after the Rams defense forced two more turnovers. CSU dominated time of possession in the first half, controlling the ball for 21:01.

After forcing a punt to start the second half, CSU went back to the ground game, but penalties cut the drive short. Despite looking dominant against the Pokes, the Rams couldn’t avoid the flags that have plagued them all year, racking up 10 penalties for 101 yards.

However, turnovers were not as issue this week as CSU had a plus-three margin. Trent Matthews had two fumble recoveries and an interception. Wyoming’s star rusher Brian Hill was held to 65 yards on 21 carries. Wyoming accumulated just 109 yards in the passing game despite playing catch up almost the entire contest.

Colorado State plays its final home game of the season next week against UNLV.

Collegian Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.