CSU club wrestling team sees early success

While the football team was hoisting the Bronze Boot, Colorado State’s club wrestling team was busy starting their season in impressive fashion Saturday, highlighted by the return of Carroll Conley.

CSU club wrestling’s schedule over the weekend included duel matches with Wayne State College and Iowa State University, along with competing in the Wayne State Invitational in Wayne, Nebraska.

A duel is where both teams select a wrestler for each weight class to compete against. CSU won three of six matches in each duel.

Conley went 3-2 overall, and finished in third place for the 157-pound weight class. The finish is even more impressive considering Conley missed all of last season due to a blood disorder.

In the tournament, sophomore Cody Carpenter was too much for the competition to handle, sweeping the field (4-0), and finishing in first place for the 149-pound weight class. Carpenter was the lone Ram to win his weight class for the tournament, though Mike Brungardt (junior) and Conley (senior) each placed as well. Competing in the 125-pound weight class, Brungardt (3-1), finished in second place.

Luke Engler (freshman), Ryan Johnson (freshman), Ben Petersen (freshman), and Mitch Leroy (senior), all competed in the tournament but did not place. Filled with youth, CSU’s club wrestling team will look to use the experience gained in future bouts.

The CSU club team will hit the mats again this Saturday (Nov. 14), hosting the NCAA Invitational, which will feature nine different collegiate club teams. The tournament begins 9 a.m. Saturday at the South College Gym and is open to the public.

Collegian Sports Reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @JustinSportsCSU.