Former CSU star Garrett Grayson invited to Gruden OB Camp

Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson will be one of 16 seniors being honored during Senior Day on Saturday at Hughes Stadium.
Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson (18), will participate in the Gruden QB Camp leading up to the NFL Draft in late April.

Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson has been invited to the sixth annual Jon Gruden Quarterback Camp, the University announced in a press release Tuesday afternoon. Grayson, along with former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, former Oregon signal-caller Marcus Mariota and two others, will join the former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach for film study and on-field workouts in Orlando, Fla.

“This is definitely a huge honor,” Grayson said in the University release. “I grew up watching Coach Gruden with the Raiders and Bucs, and now the last couple years I’ve watched his show hoping one day I would be on it. I know that this wouldn’t be possible if not for the great coaching I received at CSU and being surrounded by many, many great players during my time. It was a heck of a ride, and I’m very thankful for everyone that helped me along the way.”

Gruden, considered one of the premier offensive minds in the NFL, runs the participants through a series of on-field drills as well as an intense film study session.

“There’s a lot of parts of Colorado State’s system that I recognize, unlike a lot of college football that’s running up-tempo, no-huddle, spread-option football,” Gruden said. “There’s some principles at Colorado State that will serve Grayson well. He can run it. He can audible. He can get you out of trouble with his legs. He’s a dark horse in this class.”

Grayson started 35 games at Colorado State and set nearly every CSU passing record. The former Rams quarterback threw for a school-record 9,190 yards and 64 touchdowns.

As a senior, Grayson became only the third Mountain West quarterback to throw for over 4,000 yards in a single season. This performance earned him Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year and first-team all-conference honors.

Grayson is the first CSU passer to be invited to the Gruden QB Camp, and the second consecutive Mountain West QB to be invited after Fresno State’s Derek Carr participated last year.

The entire Gruden’s QB Camp television schedule will be released later in the month.

Invited Quarterbacks
Garrett Grayson – Colorado State
Brett Hundley – UCLA
Marcus Mariota – Oregon
Bryce Petty – Baylor
Jameis Winston – Florida State