McCarthy: Become a sports reporter at the Collegian

Emmet McCarthy
Emmet McCarthy

Attention readers,

The Collegian sports desk needs reporters for next year. The only real requirements are that you be somewhat passionate about sports and interested in writing.

Actually, if you’re still reading, you’re probably overqualified for the job.

Next semester, I will be taking the position of sports editor at this newspaper, and have big things in store. But first, I am looking to hire some students who would like to write for the Collegian.

This is an opportunity to cover Colorado State athletics while gaining invaluable experience, with the only real requirements being that you enjoy writing, have an interest in sports and are willing to work hard.

Sports fans and aspiring writers alike should really consider applying. I did last year and it was one of the best decisions I have made in college. Working for this paper gave me a chance to build my resume and really expand my network while basically getting to do what I love: watch sports and talk about them.

Oh, and you get paid too.

Instead of missing the CSU football game on Saturday because you had to work, covering the CSU football games could be your job. Instead of freezing your butt off in the stands and paying $10 for a pretzel and some water, you can enjoy the catering up in the press box and really take in what is happening.

Being part of the Collegian’s sports desk also means getting to travel to stadiums and arenas all over the country. In the past six months I have had the privilege of going to Denver to cover the Rocky Mountain Showdown, Las Vegas to cover the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl. I’ve also been to Boulder, Colorado and Laramie, Wyoming for men’s basketball games.

Reporters in the past have traveled to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to cover the Rams’ football game against the Crimson Tide in 2013, and Spokane, Washington to cover CSU’s basketball game against Gonzaga. Earlier this year, we had reporters on Boise State’s blue turf, and in a couple weeks we will be back in Vegas for a week to cover the Mountain West basketball tournament.

Get in on the action. You don’t need to be the greatest writer or the most knowledgeable fan – though it wouldn’t hurt. What matters more than anything is that you are enthusiastic and hard-working.

Currently, we have positions open to cover CSU’s rising football program, its nationally ranked volleyball team, its upstart women’s soccer team and various club sports at CSU.

If you have any interest in writing for the sports desk in the fall semester, please contact me by email at emmett.a.mccarthy@gmail.com or call/text me at 202-689-9489.

Collegian Sports Reporter Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.