Higgins, McElwain on national award lists

The accolades keep coming for the Colorado State football team.

CSU head football coach Jim McElwain was named one of 20 semifinalists for the Maxwell Football Club Collegiate Coach of the Year Award, announced by Ron Jaworski, the Maxwell Football Club President, on Wednesday morning. 

Colorado State head coach Jim McElwain was one of 20 coaches named on the Maxwell Football Club Collegiate Coach of the Year award list Wednesday.

McElwain is one of two Mountain West coaches to be named a semifinalist, joining Air Force’s Troy Calhoun. 

Under the third-year head coach the Rams (9-1, 5-1 MW) are ranked nationally in the Associated Press Top 25 and USA Today Amway Coaches Poll for the first time since 2003. 

Semi-finalist voting for of the Maxwell Football Club Collegiate Coach of the Year award will begin on Thursday, Nov. 20 and close on Monday, Dec. 8. The finalist round will include the top three coaches, as selected in the semi-finalist round. Finalist voting will openDec. 10 and run until Dec. 21. The winner will be announced on Dec. 22

Along with McElwain’s honor, wide receiver Rashard Higgins was named one of 15 “Players to Watch” for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award.

higgins_oct3rd-5
Colorado State wide receiver Rashard Higgins was one of 15 semifinalists named for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award.

Higgins, who was named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award on Monday, is one of only two wide receivers on the list joining Alabama’s Amari Cooper. 

In 2014, Higgins leads all FBS receivers with 142.2 receiving yards per game, is tied for first with 13 receiving touchdowns, and is second with 1,280 receiving yards. 

The 15-player watch list includes eight quarterbacks, three defensive players, two wide receivers and two running backs. Fourteen different schools and seven conferences are represented on the list.

A list of five finalists will be announced on Wednesday, December 3.