Rams’ Culbert named espnW national player of the week

Colorado State opposite hitter Adrianna Culbert was named the espnW National Player of the Week Tuesday.

The awards simply keep rolling in for the Colorado State volleyball team.

Just 48 hours after being named the Colorado State’s fourth Mountain West Player of the Week this season, junior opposite hitter Adrianna Culbert was tabbed as the espnW National Player of the Week Tuesday.

A native of Delton, Michigan, Culbert led CSU to two victories last week, defeating Wyoming on the road and Fresno State at home. Culbert player did it all for the Rams, averaging 3.00 kills per set on .567 hitting, in addition to 3.83 digs, 1.00 blocks, 1.33 assists and a service ace.

“I was really surprised,” Culbert said in a University release. “I think it’s awesome to know that espnW thinks so highly of me, and it really adds to the fact that we as a team are having such a great season.”

In a sweep of Wyoming, Culbert had a team-most 15 digs against a Cowgirls team which ranked ninth nationally for hitting efficiency. She also added eight kills, three blocks and six assists. Against Fresno State, Culbert had a match-most 10 kills without an error, and also hit at a .625 clip from the right side.

“It’s a great honor for her, and we thank espnW for promoting women’s volleyball,” Head Coach Tom Hilbert said of Culbert. “I think Dri is deserving because of all the roles she plays for our team. She’s a positive asset in so many ways. You can look at our performance throughout the season, and when she’s playing well, we’re playing really well as a team.”

Culbert is the sixth Colorado State player to be recognized as a national player of week, with Megan Plourde being the most recent in 2012 by the AVCA.

Collegian Sports Editor Keegan Pope can be reached at kpope@collegian.com and on Twitter @ByKeeganPope.