CSU volleyball team wins Residence Inn Invitational to cap non-conference slate

The No.8 Colorado State volleyball team wrapped up non-conference play Saturday, earning a 12-1 record heading into its first games in the Mountain West Conference. The Rams pushed past No.18 Arizona State, Pepperdine and North Carolina Central on the road in Tempe, Ariz. to win the Residence Inn Invitational.

A 3-0 weekend for CSU stretches their regular season road winning streak to 26 games dating back to Oct.27, 2012.

The Rams took on the Sun Devils for the first match of the weekend and their third matchup against a ranked opponent in 13 days. CSU came out strong battling back and forth to clinch a 2-0 set lead heading into the break. However, ASU took control and won the next two sets to force a decisive fifth set on its home court.

Despite a grueling battle in the first four sets, CSU won the first nine points of the final set. The Rams went on to defeat the Sun Devils 15-5, earning their first win against Arizona State in 11 appearances.

The momentum from the Rams first match on Friday carried over into the night as CSU defeated Pepperdine in three sets before sweeping a hapless North Carolina Centeral squad Saturday. The Rams used Saturday’s match against NCCU to rest several starters while giving setter Crystal Young her first career start. Outside hitter Marlee Reynolds was named the tournament MVP while outside hitter Jasmine Hanna and libero Jaime Colaizzi were also named to the all-tournament team.

CSU will now travel for its third weekend on the road where it will begin conference play at Utah State Thursday followed by a match at Boise State on Saturday.

Collegian Sports Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @haleighhamblin.