No.7 CSU volleyball sweeps Boise State on the road

The seventh-ranked Colorado State volleyball team swept Boise State by scores of 25-19, 25-17 and 25-22 to come away from their road trip undefeated in Mountain West play. The Rams will return to Fort Collins having improved to 14-1 (2-0) while the Broncos fall to 8-6 (1-1) on the season.

Boise State was aggressive offensively but CSU head coach Tom Hilbert had his team prepared.

“They’re a dynamic offensive team,” Hilbert said. “You have to disrupt them somehow. We were able to do it in spurts and that gave us enough separation to win the match.”

CSU relied on a stingy defensive effort to keep Boise State from ever really threatening to take a set. The Rams recorded 12.5 team blocks while holding their opponent to .134 hitting percentage.

The Broncos had no answer for Kelsey Snider early on in the match. The senior middle blocker had seven kills on .385 hitting through two sets. Marlee Reynolds and Jasmine Hanna stole the show in the third set combining for nine kills to complete the sweep.

“I’m glad we were able to get it done the way that we did,” Hilbert said. “Marlee came up big at the end of that (third) set. She had a block and two important kills after point-20.”

Reynolds led the team with 13 kills. Middle blocker Acacia Andrews delivered another stellar all-around performance with six blocks to lead the team while also adding six kills.

Boise State has still yet to win a set from the Rams in any meeting between the two teams. CSU now returns to Fort Collins where they will have a few days to rest and prepare to take on UNLV.

“I think in Moby we’ll be able to pass the ball better but we got to get back and work on some service receive things because teams are really bombing us and it starts to wear down our passers at times,” Hilbert said.

Overall though, it’s difficult even for a perfectionist like Hilbert not to focus on the positives of going undefeated in eight consecutive road games.

“I live and die by every point but you look at the body of work in our last three weekends and it’s pretty special,” Hilbert said. “We have two wins over nationally ranked teams, two conference road wins against solid competition and we haven’t been at home for three weeks.”

The Rams face UNLV at Moby Arena on Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. MT.

Collegian Sports Reporter Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter at @emccarthy22.