Rams host University of Colorado in Wednesday night double header

With a month remaining until finals, students all over campus have that slumped-over, bed-headed, blood-shot red-eyed look going on. Like a man emerging from the depths of the desert, looking for water.

But the Colorado State baseball team cannot afford to get sloppy; this is the most important time in their season. They’ll play with extra incentive Wednesday night, as the Rams host arch-rival Colorado at City Park for a double header match up.

“It definitely has its challenges, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t,” sophomore Mike Medina says of buckling down to finish out the season. “But, as a student-athlete, you just have to do it, and we need to get some momentum for this weekend against UNC.”

The first game begins at 5 p.m., with the second game scheduled for 7 p.m. The one-day series kicks off the last stretch of the regular season games for the Rams. They then head over to Greeley to take on the Bears this weekend.

CSU is tied for first place right now with Wyoming, and its goal is claiming regionals. As with any team with post-season dreams, it’s best to hold that dream in your own glove.

“To play it safe, we need to win it all, we don’t want to depend on anyone else,” president and catcher Brett Bogner said. “And CU is going to be playing a pride game, to show us that they should be where we are in the conference; so we are going to see their best.”

The alternative is too complicated, and the Rams do not want to lose out on an opportunity to continue their history of national excellence. They have not won a National title since 2010 — back when head coach Nick Childs still threw fastballs off the mound as a player.

There is plenty at stake Wednesday night, and playing under the lights at home merely adds to the hype. Childs is just hoping his team will show up the perfect blend of confidence and nervous adrenaline.

He has said before that his team does not perform when they are too comfortable or when they are not comfortable enough. Knowing what the sweep of Colorado would mean should spur the team into victory.

Collegian Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @c_rasta5.

Baseball double header
Who: CU-Boulder
When: 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Where: City Park baseball field
Cost: free