CSU softball splits double header with New Mexico

Alysa Greckel swings at a pitch that resulted in a throw-out at first during the first game of CSU's doubleheader against New Mexico Tuesday afternoon.
Alysa Greckel swings at a pitch that resulted in a throw-out at first during the first game of CSU’s doubleheader against New Mexico Tuesday afternoon.

After blowing out the New Mexico Lobos 6-0 in the first game of the double header, the Rams took a tough loss at Ram Field on Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s all about execution,” shortstop Ashlie Ortega said. “No one is going to go down that easily and you have to execute and lay the hammer down and make a statement. We just need to come out, be aggressive and get stuff done.”

Scoring two runs in the second inning, the Rams held their lead for a good portion of the game. However, the Lobos came back in the fourth inning scoring two runs, putting another two runs on the board in the fifth. With two more runs put on the board in the sixth and seventh inning, the Lobos sealed off the game with a win.

Despite the Rams ultimate loss of 6-3 in their second game, the team made a solid effort to attempt a comeback until the final pitch was thrown.

Shortstop Ashlie Ortega helped put the final run on the board for the Rams, but unfortunately a second win for the day was not in the cards for CSU.

“We absolutely need to hit pitching better,” head coach Jen Fisher said. “When we have a couple of people slumping the whole game and not having good at bats and getting quick outs that can make it too easy on the pitcher and not make her have to work, so we’ve got to put better swings on good pitches.”

Tuesday’s result moved CSU’s 2014 season record to 27-10, 8-4 MW; tied with Fresno State for the top spot in the conference. New Mexico now sits with a 13-29, 4-11 standing good for the eighth position in the MW.

As the Rams look ahead to facing the Lobos for the third and final time in this series on Wednesday, they realize there are corrections that need to be made if they want to come out with a 2-1 record in the series.

“I have a lot of confidence that they will be ready to work on that tomorrow,” Fisher said. “I know they will.”

The Rams face the Lobos once more Wednesday afternoon at 1 p.m. again at Ram Field for the series finale game.

Collegian Reporter Hannah Cornish can be reached at Sports@collegian.com and on Twitter at @HMCornish.

Breakout:

Top performers:

Ashlie Ortega: 2 hits, 2 runs

Taryn Arcarese: 1 run